[Sust-mar] [Fwd: [SCC-issue-alerts] Take Action: Attention all environmental voters!!! - Environment missing from Election]

Paul Falvo pfalvo at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Jan 10 22:22:02 EST 2006

*Sierra Club of Canada - ACTION ALERT
January 10, 2006*

*Take Action: Attention all environmental voters!!!*

The *ENVIRONMENT* is missing in action in this election.  It is mostly
the media's fault, but reality is we have had little environmental
content from leaders and parties either.

So far only the Bloc and the Green Party have released the environmental
platform.  Martin and the Liberals made a very welcome $1 billion
announcement of Great Lakes /St.Lawrence River clean-up.  Layton
announce a commitment to a 25% reduction below 1990 levels of greenhouse
gases by 2020, plus a Clean Water Act and a Clean Air Act.  Stephen
Harper and the Conservatives have announced a tax deduction for mass
transit users, but no one has focused on the fact those funds will come
from existing climate change funding.  In fact, Harper has suggested,
according to the Calgary Herald, that he might ditch the Kyoto Protocol
and give up on trying to achieve our targets in 2012.

Elizabeth May just sent this letter to the Globe and Mail:

To the Editor,

I need to call the RCMP.  The environment is now officially "missing in
action" in this election. Not a single question in either English
language leaders debate.  A few of the leaders tried to raise the
issues.  Martin said Harper would pull out of Kyoto.  Layton said the
NDP cared about pollution.  Harper used the word "environment" once.  It
is thirteen days before the election and only the Bloc and the Green
Party have released their environmental platforms.

Calling 911.

Elizabeth E. May
Executive Director
Sierra Club of Canada

*PLEASE TRY TO WRITE LETTERS ON A SIMILAR THEME TO YOUR LOCAL PAPERS.
ASK THE LEADERS AND CANDIDATES AT YOUR DOOR STEP, OR IN ALL CANDIDATE
MEETINGS,  WHERE THEY STAND ON THE ENVIRONMENT.*

ON KYOTO, WE NEED TO KNOW:

1)      Are you committed to meeting Canada's target under Kyoto for the
first commitment period (2008-2012)?
2)      Will you ensure the implementation and improvement of the
current plan or do you have a better idea of how to reduce our emissions
by 6% below 1990 levels by 2012? If so, what is it?
3)      Will you pursue the negotiations just launched at COP11 within
the U.N. system and Kyoto Protocol for further binding emission
reductions in industrialized countries?
4)      What do you think Canada's reductions should be by 2020? By
2030? By 2050?  What should the global reductions be in those time frames?

Thank you for taking action!

Sierra Club of/du Canada
412-1 Nicholas St., Ottawa, ON, K1N 7B7
phone: 613-241-4611, fax: 613-241-2292