[Sust-mar] Hot off the Press: This Tuesday, May 16 come out to hear John Bennett speak on the latest federal developments on climate change

NSEN nsen at web.ca
Thu May 11 23:40:56 EDT 2006

Hot off the Press: This Tuesday, May 16 come out to hear John Bennett speak
on the latest federal developments on climate change. Don't forget to come
out to our strategy session on Wednesday, May 17 to put the environment at
the top of the political agenda in the upcoming provincial election -
details below. Spread the word - thanks!

1.
Kyoto Protocol in Peril?
What Canadians Still Need To Do To Prevent Climate Change

A public discussion with John Bennett, Executive Director of the Climate
Action Network.

Tuesday, May 16
5:00-6:15 PM
Student Union Building, Dalhousie University
6136 University Avenue, Halifax
All welcome. Light refreshments provided.

The Harper government is cutting climate change programs and opposes the
Kyoto Protocol?  What's happening in Ottawa? What are Canadians to do? Come
out to hear John Bennett provide his insights on the current controversy on
the Kyoto Protocol and ways to take action on climate change and positively
influence the federal government.

John Bennett is the Senior Policy Advisor Energy for the Sierra Club of
Canada and the Executive Director of the Climate Action Network of Canada
(CANet). CANet is an association of close to 100 groups from across Canada
committed to preventing dangerous levels of human interference with the
global climate system, protecting environmental sustainability and public
health, while upholding principles of just transition, equity and social
justice. John was a founding member of CANet in 1989 and has served as its
co-ordinator for the last three years. He has represented CANet on the
Canadian delegation to climate change negotiations in Bonn and The Hague. He
also served on the Public Education and Outreach Table of the National
Process on Climate Change and is a member on of the Advisory Committee on
the Climate Change Hubs. Over the last three years, John has headed the
Sierra Club of Canada's atmosphere and energy campaigns which include
climate change, air pollution, energy policies and renewables, and the
nuclear campaign. Before heading CANet, he was the Project Manager for the
Belleville Green Check. Prior to that John was the International Oil
Campaigner for Greenpeace International and the Atmosphere and Energy
Campaigner for Greenpeace Canada. He has also been an editor of various
publications and a community journalist. John has become a well known and
outspoken climate change activist oft quote in the
media.(www.climateactionnetwork.ca)

2.
*CALLING ALL ENVIRONMENTALISTS: DON'T FORGET TO COME OUT TO THIS - WE ONLY
HAVE A LITTLE TIME TO TAKE ACTION!

"Get Politically Active:
Put the Environment at the top the Provincial Election Agenda"
Wednesday, May 17
7:30-9:00 PM
Room 303, Student Union Building
6136 University Avenue, Dalhousie University, Halifax All welcome. Light
refreshments provided.

The Nova Scotia Environmental Network invites you to attend a non-partisan
strategy session to prepare for the upcoming provincial election.  We expect
Premier Rodney MacDonald to call an election this week to be held on June 13
or 20. We need Nova Scotians who care about the environment to make it an
election issue. Let's strategize together as to how we can make the
environment a top election priority for all parties running in this upcoming
Nova Scotia election.

This will be an open space, action-oriented, small breakout style meeting,
so be sure to attend and participate. We have one month to organize and we
need your help and input. Let's show the candidates that we care about the
environment and they should too! We are not endorsing any specific party or
candidate, we are supporting the environment. For more details, please
contact Tamara Lorincz, Executive Director of the Nova Scotia Environmental
Network at nsen at web.ca or phone 454-6846.

Co-sponsored by the Society for Corporate Environmental and Social
Responsibility (CESR).

Thank you!

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN)
French Student
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
(902) 443-2423
tlorincz at dal.ca
CESR: http://cesr.dsu.dal.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" -
Dr. Martin Luther King