[Sust-mar] Avaaz.org online climate change petition

Peter Watson pwatson at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Feb 8 10:30:58 EST 2007

A message from MoveOn.org:

Dear friends,

Last week, over 2,000 scientists issued a powerful call to action to the
world: we're on the brink of climate catastrophe—but it's not too late
to stop it. What's needed is a new international agreement that enables
all countries to work together to make major cuts in greenhouse gas
emissions.

The leaders of the world's biggest polluting countries will be meeting
in Germany this June and the agenda for this summit is being decided
right now. Avaaz.org—the new global online network we have co-founded—is
launching a campaign to tell these Presidents and Prime Ministers to put
a new climate change treaty at the top of their summit agenda. Click
below to watch their TV ad and sign their petition calling for immediate
action.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/climate_action/mo.php

In the future, you'll hear from Avaaz (the name means "a voice" in many
languages) about opportunities to take action together, on a global scale.

Climate change is a global problem and it requires a global solution. It
is not enough for only one or two countries to take action. To really
solve this problem we need a new international agreement that commits
countries to major emissions cuts, and enables a global shift to
renewable energy.

The agenda for the June world leaders' meeting is being set right now by
German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Chancellor Merkel keeps saying she is
concerned about climate change. What we need now is a massive show of
force from people around the world to get this issue at the top of the
summit agenda. Avaaz will be delivering its petition to Chancellor
Merkel next week. Can you sign the petition today?