[Sust-mar] Resource extraction, building North-South Alliances

Kathryn Anderson kathrynande at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:29:19 EST 2007

Please see the notice below for the Atlantic Regional Soidarity Network's
annual gathering "Sharing Stories of Resistance North and South". You can
find out more about the Atlantic Regional Soidarity Network (ARSN) on our
website: www.arsn.ca ~ the registration form and poster are  available
there. .

***Please distribute this notice and the registration form and poster
(attached) widely, including to people who might not normally attend ARSN,
but are interested in questions of mining and resource extraction North and
South. As you will see below, this year we are
really encouraging building alliances, an exciting development by ARSN!

 **Building South-North Alliances**
Fri., Nov. 30, 7pm -Dec. 2, 1pm **Tatamagouche Centre *
*Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia***

At this year's gathering, we will build on alliances inititated through the
Atlantic Regional  Solidarity Network's *Mining the Connections Campaign*.
We will hear stories from the Maritimes and from the South about
commuities resisting mining operations and/or working for greater community
control of extractive industries. We will continue to examine human rights
and environmental impacts of Canadian-owned mining operations in Guatemala
and the Nova Scotia and New Brunswick power utilities' use of Colombian coal
~ from the mines to the smokestacks. We hope to weave an artistic thread
throughout the weekend through the presence of  First Voices Project
participants (see below).

*Invited Guests***

·    *First Voices project participants* ~ This Atlantic Council for
International Cooperation project brings together First Nations youth from
Atlantic Canada with indigenous youth from Breaking the Silence partners in
Guatemala, *Cesar Saloj (HIJOS) *and* Jose Mauricio Osorio Tecú (New Hope
Foundation) *and youth from Honduras, to collaborate on a multi-media art
project e.g. dance, theatre, art.

·    *Javier de Leon *is a Mayan community leader with ADISMI (Asociacion de
Desarollo Integral de San Miguel Ixtahuacan) in the Guatemalan community
where Canadian-owned Goldcorp Mine is located. Sponsored by ARSN/Breaking
the Silence, Javier attended the Second Indigenous Dialogue on Mining in
Colombia this past summer, thus building South-South  Connections in ARSN's
Mining the Connections Campaign.

·    *Leocadio Juracan* is a Mayan peasant organizer with the *Comite
Campesino del Altiplano (Small Farmers' Committee of the Highlands)*, whose
members produce Breaking the Silence coffee. Leocadio is also Director of
Rural Development for *CNOC (Coordinadora Nacional de Campesinos)*, a
national campesino coalition that works for land and labour rights.

·    *Albert Marshall* is a Mi'kmaq elder who has been outspoken in his
opposition to strip mining for coal in Cape Breton.

·    *Representatives of Maritimes groups resisting mining operations or
working on related issues.

·    *Alexa McDonough* has confirmed that she will be present at ARSN on
Sunday morning, Dec. 2nd, to report on her visit to the Goldcorp Mine in
Honduras and the follow-up needed to get the Canadian government to respond
positively to the recommendatoins of the Mining Roundtables.

*Cost  $149 *This includes meals, accomodation and a registration fee. We
want this gathering to be as accessible as possible, so there are options
such as billeting and/or bringing your own food to reduce the cost. These
options are available on the registration form (see attachment).

*Seeking bursary donations *Also we are seeking donations for a bursary
fund, in order to make the ARSN meeting accesssible to everyone. If you
would like to donate to the bursary fund,
please make a cheque out to the *Atlantic Regional Solidarity Network *
and send it to: ARSN, 5563 Black Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 1P8.

If you support ARSN and are unable to attend, this is a great way to
contribute.

"Northern N.S. Events" group.
northern-ns-events-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at