[Sust-mar] White's Point Quarry-Panel Report

Andy Sharpe & Caroline Hancock hancocksharpe at doctors.org.uk
Tue Oct 30 20:12:30 EDT 2007

As I sure you are aware, the Panel Report on the White’s Point Quarry
and Marine Terminal (the Digby Quarry) was released last week.  In
preparing this report, the Panel conducted an open, searching and
thoughtful analysis of the proposed project and its impacts.  The Panel
recommended that the project should not proceed, as it would lead to
significant adverse environmental effects that cannot be justified.  In
reaching this conclusion, the Panel found that the project would not
make a contribution to sustainability.

The NS Minister of Environment and Labour (Mark Parent) and Federal
Minister of Environment (John Baird) now have 60 days to decide whether
or not to accept the Panel’s recommendations.  We are aware the
proponent of the project, Bilcon of Nova Scotia, is using a variety of
means to encourage the ministers to reject the report.

It is vitally important that the Ministers recognize the gravity of the
situation and the widespread opinion that the project should not
proceed.  I would therefore ask you to contact the two ministers and
your MLA to express your views on this project.   Contact details are
included below.  The Panel Report and Executive Summary can be found at
http://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/010/0001/0001/0023/nr071023_e.htm

Thank you,

Andy Sharpe

Honourable Mark Parent