[Sust-mar] Social Justice Institute at Tatamagouche Centre

Margaret Tusz King margaret at tatacentre.ca
Sat Sep 29 11:03:42 EDT 2007

Social Justice Institute - Building our Movements for Change
November 2-4; Friday 7pm to Sunday 1pm
Tatamagouche Centre

We all know that environmental justice is not separate from economic justice, gender issues, racial justice, etc. And we know that a coordinated action plan is more effective than individual independent ones. But how often do we take the time to really talk, across the sectors of justice work, across our Maritime region, so that we can do the necessary coordinating, collaborating and learning from each other?

This is a unique opportunity to do just that. Join with activists from the Black community, environmental movements, anti-poverty organizations, feminists and international solidarity movements, to reflect, strategize and examine how our movements intersect. Share what you are learning, and identify what is needed to build effective coalitions, alliances and movements for transformation in the Maritimes and around the world.

Leadership:

Barbara Hamilton-Hinch is a Black Student Advisor at Dalhousie University and a member of the Steering Committee of the Activist School. Her Interdisciplinary PhD at Dalhousie explore Racism as a form of Violence, and its impact on the health and well being of women. Barb is a mentor and role model to Black young adults through her university work, youth awareness trips she co-organizes to Africa, and her engagement in socialand cultural activities.

Mark Butler is the Managing Director of the Ecology Action Centre (EAC) and Coordinator of the Marine Issues Committee, in Halifax. Before joining EAC, Mark worked as a marine educaor, a fisheries consultant both in Canada and overseas, and as a deckhand on commercial fishing boats.

Brenda Murphy has worked with individuals who live on the margins as a result of poverty for twenty years. Her current work with the Urban Core Support Network in Saint John focuses on the barriers women face when trying to escape poverty, and the impact of public policy. Brenda is a member of the NB Advisory Council on the Status of Women, and serves as Deputy Mayor of Grand Bay - Westfield, NB.

Kathryn Anderson is a diaconal minister, and global human rights activist, educator and writer. She has extensive experience and relationships in solidarity with indigenous peoples of Guatemala, and is the author of Weaving Relationships, Canada-Guatemala Solidarity.

Steve Law is an organic farmer and social justice activist whose work focuses on community building, ecological sustainability and grassroots struggles for social change. He is the Coordinator for Social Transformation Programming at Tatamagouche Centre.

Cost: $300 (includes program, meals and accommodations). Some bursaries are available.

For more information or to register, contact Tatamagouche Centre 1-800-218-2220 or www.tatacentre.ca