[Sust-mar] Upcoming Community Events: Book launch, film screenings, conferences...

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Tue Jul 8 12:04:17 EDT 2008

UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS - Kindly circulate.
13 key environmental, social justice and peace events across Nova Scotia.

(1)
BOOK LAUNCH: “THE MARITIME BOOK OF CLIMATE CHANGE” WEDNESDAY, JULY 16 7PM
The Maritime Book of Climate Change, by Richard Zurawski Wednesday, July 16
/ 7pm Spring Garden Road Memorial Public Library. Atlantic Canada has the
dubious distinction of being "the global canary" of climate change. By a
strange confluence of geography and meteorology, not only will we feel the
effects of climate change first and most dramatically here, but also,
paradoxically, we will experience a host of seemingly contradictory climate
and weather effects. Global warming could actually lead to a cooling of the
Maritimes, even a mini ice age spanning the North Atlantic, before the
warming takes hold. Richard Zurawski takes a hard look at our regional
weather and then projects into the future to see what the Maritimes will
look like in the coming years as the world's climate changes and discusses
what we should be doing now. How we respond and how soon we respond to the
coming changes will determine how easy or how difficult the transitions will
be. Richard Zurawski is a meteorologist, documentary filmmaker, and
television and radio personality who has called Halifax, Nova Scotia, his
home for almost two decades. He has been in the science and weather business
for more than 25 years. He was the host, creator and producer of Wonder
Why?, The Adventures of the AfterMath Crew and WiseWeatherWhys.  His first
book was Richard Zurawski's Book of Maritime Weather. Join us for the launch
of his new title at the Spring Garden Road Memorial Public Library on
Wednesday, July 16 at 7pm.  For more information, please call 490-5700.

(2)
THIRD ANNUAL “DINNER OF PEACE” SATURDAY, JULY 12TH IN PUGWASH Come join us
for a traditional lobster buffet as we wrap up our conference. Featuring our
special guest, United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Defence, Sergio
Duarte. The evening will start with a reception and silent auction.
Time: 5:30 pm
Location: Pugwash District High School, 192 Church St., Pugwash
Cost: $50 ($40 for Pugwash Peace Exchange members) Tickets go on sale for
members on May 20th and for non-members on May 31st. Please note that ticket
quantities are limited.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR FOR TICKETS, CALL (902) 243-2328

(3)
ENFORCING ENVIRONMENTAL LAW IN NOVA SCOTIAPRESENTATION & RECEPTION TUE.,
JULY 15, 7PM SYDNEY Southend Community Centre (Woodill Room)
28 Hillview Avenue, Sydney
Free public presentation - Food and drink reception to follow. Draw Prizes.
All welcome.
This year’s Community Environmental Law Lecture Series is focused on
informing the public about their role in the enforcement of environmental
laws in Nova Scotia. Local environmental lawyer Lisa Mitchell will review
the options for enforcing environmental legislation and answer your
questions about the reality of the enforcement process in Nova Scotia.
Lisa Mitchell (BA, MES, LLB) is a lawyer with a Masters of Environmental
Studies and more than 15 years of experience working with government,
non-government organizations, businesses and community groups. Lisa's
environmental law practice is broad-ranging covering areas such as
environmental impact assessment, agriculture, contaminated sites and natural
resource law.
Organized by the East Coast Environmental Law Association (ECELAW) and the
Nova Scotia Environmental Network {NSEN). ECELAW acknowledges support from
the Law Foundation of Nova Scotia and Ecojustice Canada.
For more information please call (902) 454-6846 or email
intern_nsen at ncen-rce.org Visit us online: ECELAW www.ecelaw.ca or NSEN
www.nsen.ca

(4)
WORKSHOP ENFORCING ENVIRONMENTAL LAW IN NOVA SCOTIA: TOOLS AND CHALLENGES
TUE. JULY 22
2008 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW WORKSHOP
Tuesday July 22, 2008
8:30AM-4:30 PM
Rowe Management Building, 6100 University Avenue Dalhousie University,
Halifax The aim of ECELAW’s 2008 Environmental Law Workshop is to enable
community groups and individuals to effectively engage in the process of
enforcing environmental laws. There will be three main components of the
workshop: understanding the role the public can play in enforcing
environmental laws, understanding the government’s role and exploring how
the current legislation aimed at environmental protection can be
strengthened. This hands on and collaborative workshop will provide an
opportunity for discussion, experience sharing and visioning through four
sessions: presentation, panel discussion, break out groups and large group
discussion.

Workshop Facilitators:
Lisa Mitchell is a lawyer and principal of LJM Environmental Consulting.
Meinhard Doelle is an Associate Professor, specializes in environmental law.

Workshop Cost:  ● student $25    ● regular $35    ● government and law
firms $55
(Includes workshop materials, lunch, and nutrition breaks) Please register
for the workshop by Thursday, July 17, 2008 The Environmental Legal Toolkit
Binder will be available at the workshop for sale at $15 (Includes copies of
key Nova Scotia legislation, Provincial and Federal Legal Overview, Legal
Articles, and other resources).
Workshop organized by the East Coast Environmental Law Association (ECELAW)
and the Nova Scotia Environmental Network {NSEN). ECELAW acknowledges
support from the Law Foundation of Nova Scotia, Ecojustice Canada, Nova
Scotia Department of Environment, and RRFB.
For more information please call (902) 454-6846 or email
intern_nsen at ncen-rce.org Visit us online: ECELAW www.ecelaw.ca or NSEN
www.nsen.ca

(5)
FILM SCREENING "WAR MADE EASY: HOW PUNDITS & POLITICIANS KEEP SPINNING US TO
DEATH" Wednesday, July 23 from 7:00-8:45 PM Room 307, Student Union
Building, Dalhousie University, 6136 University Avenue. "War Made Easy"
(2007) is narrated by actor and activist Sean Penn. It exhumes remarkable
archival footage of official distortion and exaggeration over a 50-year
period from Presidents Lyndon Johnson to George W. Bush, revealing in
stunning detail how the American news media have uncritically disseminated
the pro-war messages of successive presidential administrations. Based on
the critically acclaimed book by Norman Solomon. There will be discussion
about the propaganda used to sell Canadians on our military's combat mission
in Afghanistan. Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition. Co-sponsored by
NSPIRG and Nova Scotia Voice of Women for Peace. Join us at 6:00 pm for a
community potluck. A free public potluck and screening. All welcome. For
more information, please contact HPC: hfxpeace at chebucto.ca or go to our web
site: http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org/

(6)
FILM SCREENING "SLUDGE DIET" WEDNESDAY, JULY 30
7:00-8:45 PM
Room 307, Student Union Building, Dalhousie University, 6136 University
Avenue.
Halifax Harbour treatment plant is now up and running, the leftover sludge
has started to be sprayed on agricultural land in the province. Is it safe?
Some call it poison others hail it as environmentally friendly. Sludge Diet
(2006) tries to find out who's telling us the truth about Fertile Residual
Material (FRM) aka sludge and who's lying. It shows how the food that we eat
are mostly produced on land fertilized by digester sludge containing
dangerous substances. The consequences have been disastrous so far and most
feel that governments need to ban its usage instead of regulating it. The
continued use of sewage sludge in agriculture and regulating its use to
prevent harmful effects on soil, vegetation, animals and human beings - is
an ongoing debate. A free screening. All welcome. Organized by the Nova
Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN) and NSPIRG. For more information, call
454-6846 or visit us online: www.nsen.ca

(7)
"MARITIME WATER RESOURCES SYMPOSIUM: WATERSHED HEALTH, PLANNING &
MANAGEMENT" IN NS. IN AUG.
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia from August 21-23 2008
http://www.cwra.org/About_CWRA/CWRA_Branches/Nova_Scotia/Maritime_Water_Reso
urces_Sympo/maritime_water_resources_sympo.html

(8)
THE HOPE FOR WILDLIFE SOCIETY 7TH ANNUAL OPEN HOUSE, SUNDAY AUGUST 24TH The
Hope for Wildlife Society is holding its 7th Annual OPEN HOUSE on Sunday
August 24th, 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. (Will be held Rain or Shine!) at 5909 Highway
207 in Seaforth. Come meet the animals and learn about Nova Scotia's
indigenous wildlife. There will be live entertainment, a BBQ, live auction,
silent auction, woodcarving and painting demonstrations, face painting,
horseback rides and much more!  Great fun for the whole family! Please come
and show your support for this remarkable facility that cares for hundreds
of injured and orphaned animals each year.Donations for the live and silent
auctions are being gratefully accepted. Contact Hope Swinimer at 452-3339 to
arrange for pickup, or to drop off donations. To print a poster of this
event, go to the Upcoming Events at: http://www.hopeforwildlife.net

(9)
33RD ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF THE SOLAR ENERGY SOCIETY OF CANADA & 3RD CANADIAN
SOLAR BUILDINGS RESEARCH Network Conference in Fredericton, New Brunswick
from August 20 - 22, 2008 Network Research Meeting: August 23, 24, 2008
2008 Call for papers
Abstract deadline extended
The 2008 first call for papers is now available for download.
http://www.solarbuildings.ca/en/conference

(10)
THE PRESCRIPTION FOR SURVIVAL: THE PHYSICIAN IN THE GLOBAL VILLAGE, HALIFAX,
SEPT. 25-27 The Prescription for Survival: the Physician in the Global
Village conference looks at the health effects of human rights violations,
chemical waste, war, energy and resource depletion, economic policies and
'greening' of hospitals. Helen Caldicott and Gil Penalosa are keynotes
speakers. Target X event. Organizers: Association of Doctors for the
Advancement of Physically-Active Transportation, Canadian Association of
Physicians for the Environment and Physicians for Global Survival. Halifax,
Sept. 25-27.
More info: http://pgs.ca

(11)
NATURE TRUST 11TH ANNUAL DINNER AND SILENT AUCTION ON OCT. 30, 2008 -
TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW!
The Nature Trust 11th Annual Dinner and Silent Auction is just around the
corner (Oct 30 will approach quickly!). Make sure you book your tickets in
advance-if you purchase them before July 31 you can get a discount. Regular
tickets (normally $125) are on for $100, and Patron tickets (normally $175)
are on for $150. Make sure you book now so that you can come and enjoy this
spectacular event, which is the Nature Trust’s largest annual event and
fundraiser. This year we are proud to present Stephen Lewis, world-famous
health activist, who places his well-known passion and vision towards the
topic of the connection between land conservation and world health. It’s
sure to be a knockout event! More info: http://www.nsnt.ca/

(12)
PARKS DAY IN NOVA SCOTIA! JULY 18 & 19
Check out all the events happening in our parks across the province. Enjoy
the natural beauty of Nova Scotia with your friends and family at one of our
many parks: http://www.novascotiaparks.ca/misc/parksday-2008.asp

(13)
NATURAL RESOURCES VOLUNTARY PLANNING Submissions - July 31 deadline!
Go to the Voluntary Planning web site and review the conversation starter,
which provides a framework for discussions and written submissions. If you
missed the opportunity to attend one of the community meetings that were
held from May 12 to June 17 across the province, you can still contribute
through other methods. Call our office at 902-424-8644 or toll-free
1-866-858-5850. We will listen to your comments and take note of your ideas.
Complete the submission form online or download the submission form and/or
write us a letter:
Voluntary Planning
Suite 600, 1690 Hollis Street
Halifax, NS B3J 3J9
Fax: 902-424-0580
Email: volplan at gov.ns.ca
Web site: http://vp.gov.ns.ca/projects/resources

HAPPY SUMMER!

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN) French Student
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
CESR: http://cesr.dsu.dal.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
NDP: http://www.tamaralorincz.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" -
Dr. Martin Luther King