[Sust-mar] Hope in a Time of Climate Change

Margaret Tusz King margaret at tatacentre.ca
Tue Jun 3 14:06:16 EDT 2008

Please share the following information. You may know Stephen Scharper from his regular column in the Toronto Star.

 "When the human race gets a report card from the Creator for its stewardship of the earth, it will read,

Does not play well with other species."          Stephen Scharper

Hope in a Time of Climate Change, with Stephen Bede Scharper
July 14- 16   Mon. 2pm - Wed. noon
Tatamagouche Centre

How do we find hope in a time of climate change?

How do we become empowered, not paralyzed, amidst the sobering reality of global warming and global poverty?

We live in a "diagnostic moment" that challenges us to build hope by honestly assessing our challenges, drinking deeply from our own spiritual wells, and finding resources for realistic, joy-driven action and faith. Hope in this sense is different from optimism - it is a Divine gift.

Come and meet the engaging and irrepressible Stephen Scharper. who critiques environmental spiritualities that ignore social justice, and believes that a political theology of the environment, based on a preferential option for the poor, offers hope for a transformed way of being human as we face our ecological reality.

Leadership Team:  Stephen Bede Scharper, Associate Professor of Environmental Ethics, Centre for Environment, University of Toronto, and the Department of Anthropology (UTM). A widely published essayist and popular lecturer, he is Faith and Ethics columnist for the Toronto Star, and author of Redeeming the Time A Political Theology of the Environment.  Mary Corbett CND, former fieldworker for Justice Peace and Integrity of Creation for the Canadian Religious Conference; and Wilf Bean PhD, Staff Associate, Coady International Institute, and former Program Director, Tatamagouche Centre.

Cost: $295 includes tuition, meals & lodging

To register, or for more information, please contact Tatamagouche Centre 1-800-218-2220 or www.tatacentre.ca