[Sust-mar] Thirsty for Change? The Urgent fight for Water and Public Services - Oxfam Sunday for Change, March 30, 6 -8 pm

Clare Levin clevin at eastlink.ca
Wed Mar 19 07:21:28 EDT 2008

Please circulate. Apologies for cross postings.

Thirsty for Change? The Urgent fight for Water and Public Services

Sunday, March 30, 2008
6 - 8 pm
Just Us! Cafe, 5896 Spring Garden Rd., Halifax

This Oxfam Sundays for Change event will focus on the issue of water in
honour of World Water Day (March 22). Water is life. We drink it. We wash
and cook our food in it. Access to safe water lets us be healthy and
productive. There is presently enough water to meet everyone's needs, yet
over 1.1 billion poor people are denied access to clean water; over 4,000
children die each day from diarrhea caused by dirty water; and women and
girls in poor countries must walk, on average, six kilometres a day carrying
20 litres of water to meet their water needs. Please join Oxfam and the
Council of Canadians on March 30 for a screening of the film Dead in the
Water (a film investigating the privatization of water), followed by a
discussion about water issues and Oxfam's work in this area.

Oxfam Sundays for Change is a series of informal gatherings where you can
find answers to these questions and meet other people who care about the
same issues. Oxfam supporters, members, activists and other interested folks
get together once a month with staff and lead volunteers for updates on
Oxfam's current campaigns and programs. There will be plenty of time to
socialize and find out how you can get involved with Oxfam Canada.

This event is free and open to the public. Fair trade coffee, tea, soup  and
treats will be available for purchase.

The next Oxfam Sunday for Change will be Sunday, April 27 (Why Women? A
Current look at Women's Rights and Gender Equality). Mark your calendars!
Speakers to be confirmed.

For more information, please call 425-7877, email halifax at oxfam.ca, or see
www.oxfam.ca. More information on the work of the Council of Canadians on
water issues can be found at http://www.canadians.org/.