[Sust-mar] 12 upcoming environmental, peace and social justice events

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Fri May 2 14:17:56 EDT 2008

12 UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS: Various environmental, peace, and social
justice events - Please circulate!

(1)
A PUBLIC FORUM ON WATER IN NOVA SCOTIA
Monday, May 5 from 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Room 1009, Rowe Management building, Dalhousie University, 6100 University
Avenue
An important free public forum about our most precious natural resource:
water. Panelists include: Dr. Karen Beazley, Director of the School for
Resource and Environmental Studies, Dalhousie University; Dr. John Brazner,
Freshwater Ecologist; Jen Graham, Ecology Action Centre-Coastal Issues
Coordinator; and Anna McCarron, Shubenacadie Watershed Environmental
Protection Society. There will be copies of the Department of Environment’s
Towards a water resources management strategy for Nova Scotia consultation
paper available. All welcome! Draw prizes. Organized by the Nova Scotia
Environmental Network (NSEN Water Caucus) and the School for Resource and
Environmental Studies Students Society.
For more information, please contact Tamara Lorincz, Executive Director of
NSEN, at (902) 454-6846, nsen at cen-rce.org or go to www.nsen.ca

(2)
FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES OF ENVIRONMENTAL LAW IN CANADA
Tuesday, May 6 from 7:30-9:00 p.m.
Room 104, Weldon Law Building, Dalhousie University, 6061 University Avenue

Come to learn about new principles that have emerged in Canadian
environmental law such as: environmental rights, precautionary principle,
intergenerational equity principle, sustainability, public trust, ecosystem
approach, pollution prevention, and the polluter pays principle. Jerry will
provide current examples of their use and the potential for greater adoption
of these principles in Canada. Find out how the law can better protect our
natural environment. Draw prizes. Free public forum. All welcome!

Speaker Jerry DeMarco: Jerry is an environmental lawyer and Vice-Chair of
the Ontario Environmental Review Tribunal. He has written extensively on
environmental law and policy issues in Canada. Jerry's legal practice
included litigating cases before all levels of courts in Canada. Organized
by the East Coast Environmental Law Association www.ecelaw.ca, Nova Scotia
Environmental Network, and the Marine Environmental Law Institute.

(3)
MUDDERS DAY: A CELEBRATION HONORING PLANTS, EARTH, & MOTHERS. MAY 11
May 11 from 11am-10pm in the Halifax Commons we will celebrate not only
mothers, but the original mother earth, kids, food, healers, local plants,
the Common, music, and community with a full-out, make-our-own-festival
festival. An opportunity to celebrating the Common(s) and build our capacity
to protect what we love. This fun community event will be a launch into the
growing season. It will be an opportunity to interact, strengthen
relationships, and  It will be a space to open dialogue regarding urban
agriculture, community gardens, planning, community design, and to raise
awareness of the existence of Freshwater Brook beneath the Common. It's FREE
and open to everyone. - jayme melrose, NSPIRG garden at nspirg.org

(4)
DIALOGUE ON CANADA’S GROWING INCOME GAP ON THURSDAY, MAY 15 FROM 7-9PM
Hosted by Alexa McDonough, MP for Halifax
Room 1020, Main Level, KC Rowe Building, 6100 University Ave. Dalhousie
University
Canada’s economy is strong, but the income gap between the wealthy and
ordinary folks keeps widening. Since 1981,Canada’s economy has doubled. We
are now the 9th richest nation in the world. Unemployment is at a 30-year
low. More Canadian families raising children are working, and working longer
hours. The gap between the wealthiest and working folks should be shrinking,
but it isn’t

Speakers:
• Armine Yalnizyan Economist on growing inequalities in Canada Canadian
Centre for Policy Alternatives
• Tony Martin MP Sault-Ste. Marie, NDP Anti-Poverty Advocate
• Veronica Marsman Equality and Diversity Advocate, President, Canadian
Association of Social Workers
• Rene Ross NS Poverty Reduction Strategy Co-author, Executive Director,
Stepping Stone
• Barbara ByersExecutive Vice-President, Canadian Labour Congress
For more Information: 902-426-8691

(5)
MINING IN COMMUNITIES AT HOME AND ABROAD THURSDAY, MAY 22
7:00–8:45 p.m. at 2285 Gottingen Street, North Memorial Public Library,
Halifax
A free public presentation on the environmental, social, health, and
economic impacts of mining in communities in Honduras and in Nova Scotia.
Speakers:
§	Sophia Horwitz, ACIC-NSEN Intern who worked in Tegucigalpa, Honduras
§	Gretchen Fitzgerald, Director of the Sierra Club of Canada –
Atlantic Chapter
§	Barbara Markovitz, Eastern Shore Forest Watch
§	Represenative of the Atlantic Regional Solidarity Network
There will be a food & drink reception catered by Bob & Lori's Food Emporium
and draw prizes. Organized by the Nova Scotia Environmental Network.
Co-sponsored by the Atlantic Council for International Cooperation. For more
information, please visit our web site at www.nsen.ca or contact Tamara
Lorincz, Executive Director of NSEN, at (902) 454-6846, nsen at cen-rce.org

(6)
BEYOND SCANDAL: THE REAL ETHICS CRISIS IN BUSINESS
May 26, 2008, 7:30 pm
Potter Auditorium, Kenneth C. Rowe Management Building, Dalhousie University
Speaker: R. Edward Freeman, Darden School of Business, University of
Virginia
Freeman is the leading American commentator on corporate social
responsibility and the acknowledged
founder of the stakeholder theory of the firm.
A series of presentations on corporate social responsibility, sustainability
and accountability.
Presented by the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Public Affairs
FREE ADMISSION
Contact CCEPA: 428-4731 or info at ccepa.ca
More info: www.ccepa.ca

(7)
HUMAN RIGHTS TORCH RELAY "UNITE THROUGH MUSIC" EVENTS ON SUNDAY MAY 4
12:30noon: Torch Run (3.5km). Route: Library on Spring Garden, through the
Commons to the Grand Parade.. 1:30pm: Speeches&Rally by local/provincial
VIPs, MPs and activists at Grand Parade
. 2:00-6:00pm ((((Human Rights Torch Relay "Unite Through Music")))) with
live music
. 7:00pm-9:00pm: Evening Forum: Renowned human rights lawyer David Matas Q&A
on Organ Harvesting of Falun Gong practitioners in China: Scotia Bank
Conference Theatre, Sobey Building, Saint Mary's UniversityThe theme:
Olympics With Human Rights! We work for it!
Contact/Registration: info at humanrightstorch.org (you can be one of the
runners holding a torch)
Details can be checked at:http://www.humanrightstorch.org

(8)
VOICE OF WOMEN FOR PEACE – MOTHER’S DAY VIGIL – FRI. MAY 9 at NOON
At noon in front of the Spring Garden Library. Mothers’ Day background:
originated as a day for peace, so mothers would not lose their children to
war. Julia Ward Howe’s proclamation will be part of the vigil.

(9)
NOVA SCOTIA WATER CONSULTATIONS
Attend the NS Water Strategy Public Consultations – Important to give your
input!
http://www.gov.ns.ca/nse/water/WaterStrategyHow.asp

(10)
NATURAL RESOURCES VOLUNTARY PLANNING CONSULTATIONS
Have your say in a developing a strategy to protect our natural resources.
The strategy will impact our parks, forests, biodiversity and mining. The
consultation schedule for Voluntary Planning is now posted – please mark
your calendars: http://vp.gov.ns.ca/projects/resources

(11)
9TH ANNUAL ENVIRONMENTAL EXCELLENCE IN BUSINESS AWARDS ON JUNE 2
The Eco-Efficiency Centre's ninth Annual Environmental Excellence in
Business Breakfast is being held during Canadian Environment Week, on June
2nd, 2008 at the Westin Nova Scotian Hotel beginning at 8am. This Breakfast
also marks the 10th Anniversary of the Eco-Efficiency Centre. Tickets for
the event are $25/person. This year's keynote speaker is Nova Scotia's
Minister of Environment, Mark Parent.
It is going to be an exciting morning as we come together to celebrate
Environment Week and recognize and promote good environmental performance in
our business community. If you would like to attend the breakfast please
call        (902) 461-6704    or email eecentre at dal.ca to register, by May
28, 2008.

(12)
"RE-ENGAGING CANADIANS IN DEMOCRACY" SPEAKER PRESTON MANNING ON MAY 20
Preston Manning, Member of the Canadian Parliament from 1993 to 2001. He
founded two new political parties – the Reform Party of Canada and the
Canadian Reform Conservative Alliance – both of which became the official
Opposition in the Canadian Parliament. Head of the Manning Centre for
Building Democracy.
May 20, 2008, 7:00 pm
McNally Theatre Auditorium
Saint Mary’s University
Free Admission
Contact CCEPA: 428-4731 or info at ccepa.ca
More info: www.ccepa.ca

ENJOY!

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN)
French Student
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
CESR: http://cesr.dsu.dal.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
NDP: http://www.tamaralorincz.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" -
Dr. Martin Luther King