[Sust-mar] The Environment and the Federal Election - Vote Smart

Christopher Majka c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 1 08:25:50 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

We are at a point in time where there are crucial environmental
challenges - in both Canada and the world - that require immediate,
clear-sighted, and far-reaching action. Stephen Harper's Conservative
government has manifestly failed in in this regard. Examining just at
the issue of climate change, Vote for Climate, [ http:///www.voteforclimate.ca
  ] points out that the Conservatives have:

1) Indicated to the world that Canada would not attempt to meet its
greenhouse gas reduction targets under the Kyoto Protocol (November
2006);

2) Killed the Clean Air and Climate Change Act, despite its complete
support from the opposition parties, leaving Canada without emission
reduction policies after a full year in office (fall 2007);

3) Undermined attempts at agreement on binding emission reduction
targets at the Commonwealth Summit in Uganda and the UN Climate
Conference in Indonesia (Nov-Dec 2007);

4) Announced a climate change plan with "aspirational" emission
reduction targets - which will allow Canada’s greenhouse gas emissions
to continue to rise (March 2008);

5) Refused to publicize important Health Canada reports on the impacts
of climate change - reports produced by our own government, with our
tax dollars. The authors have criticised the government's year long
delay of the report's release, and the cancellation of a planned
national tour to promote its findings.

The Sierra Club of Canada recently gave the Conservative government an
F+ in its Climate Change Report Card:

http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/vote-canada/2008/voters-guide-climate-crisis-election.pdf

The Conservative government of Stephen Harper has been able to stymie
all of these important initiatives on the environment and climate
change despite the fact that only 38% of the Canadian population
support them, while 62% of Canadians - almost 2/3 of the population,
oppose their policies. How is this possible? Vote for the Environment,
[ http://www.voteforenvironment.ca ] points out that, under the
present system of vote splitting, if the federal election were held
today the results (in terms of the allocation of Parliamentary seats)
would be: Conservative: 147, Liberal: 76, NDP: 34, Green: 0, Bloc: 49,
Independent: 2 - another Conservative minority government.

If Canadian were to "vote smart" (i.e. allocate votes to the
candidates best positioned to defeat the Conservatives), the seat
allocation would be: Conservative: 97, Liberal: 109, NDP: 46, Green:
1, Bloc: 53, Independent: 2 - an end to Conservative rule. Vote for
the Environment's superb website [ http://www.voteforenvironment.ca/ ]
makes this readily possible by indicating, riding-by-riding across the
country, which candidate is best positioned to do so.

Almost 90,000 people have visited the site since it launched six days
ago. Join them and help elect a government that devotes serious,
constructive, and progressive attention to our environment. Our
environment deserves our support.

Best wishes,

Christopher Majka
Halifax, NS