[Sust-mar] Cap & Trade vs Carbon Tax

Christopher Majka c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 14 12:14:30 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

I'd like to refer those interested in this subject to the excellent
recent discussion on this matter on Quirks and Quarks available at:

http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/archives/08-09/qq-2008-09-27.html

It's an interview with Dr. Robert Page, TransAlta professor of
Environmental Management and Sustainability at the University of
Calgary's Institute for Sustainable Energy, Environment and Economy
and Dr. Mark Jaccard, Professor at the School of Resource and
Environmental Management at Simon Fraser University. Both were members
of the National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy which
advised the Canadian government on the policies that could lead to
significant reductions in Canada's greenhouse gas emissions. Their
discussion of the issue helped clarify it in my mind.

If I can attempt a quick summary, the salient point that they made is
that despite the difference between the carbon tax and cap and trade
approaches, what is important is for us as a society to get started on
a program (any program) that will bring about significant reductions
in carbon emissions. Quibbling about the details of how we do this is
less important than action. They both thought that in the future,
carbon emissions programs would incorporate elements of both approaches.

In terms of the differences in approaches:

a) Carbon Tax: favored by economists since it sets definite (and
increasing) prices on carbon that everyone (consumers & business) pay
across the board. It's a clear economic mechanism that puts a price on
pollution. As governments ratchet up the tax, the incentives become
ever stronger to cut down on carbon emissions. [The Liberal and Green
Party proposals.]

The difficulties are two-fold: i) it's tough to sell this politically
(consumers have visceral reactions to the idea of "taxes" even if they
get them back with a decrease of income tax); and ii) there is no
definite quantity by which carbon emissions will actually fall, and
how quickly this will happen, since carbon taxes are economic
incentives.

b) Cap and Trade: favored by environmentalists since it sets a
definite (and decreasing) cap on carbon emissions. It doesn't impact
consumers directly but instead targets industrial and other large
carbon emitters. A cap is set and excess emissions beyond the cap must
be compensated for by purchasing carbon credits from enterprises that
have made savings in their carbon emissions (or are doing better than
the norm). This punishes the "slackers" (they have to spend extra
money to purchase credits) and rewards pro-active and efficient
companies and enterprises who have done well (they make extra profits
by selling carbon credits). [The NDP proposal.]

The advantages are that it is easier to sell to consumers (and hence
the electorate) since they don't have to pay up front. Also, as the
cap ratchets down from year to year, the incentive to become more
efficient increases.

The difficulty (from the standpoint of economists) is that prices
under cap and trade are not set. Enterprises auction or trade carbon
credits via a market mechanism and they can sell/trade for as much or
as little as the market will bear.

It can be argued that there will be trickle-down costs to consumers as
"slacker" corporations simply pass along higher costs (for purchasing
carbon credits) to their customers. However, the same reasoning
indicates that costs for commodities from the pro-active businesses
should be less since their costs are correspondingly decreased from
having an extra income stream from selling carbon credits. Some also
criticize cap and trade saying that it could be complicated to set up.

The Kyoto Protocol has a cap and trade mechanism built into it. The
European Union Emission Trading Scheme (EU ETS) is now largest multi-
national, greenhouse gas emissions trading scheme in the world and was
created in conjunction with the Kyoto Protocol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Emission_Trading_Scheme

Also, in the United States, 26 states, tired of the US Federal
Government's inaction, have themselves formed three networks to work
collaboratively to reduce the impacts of climate change.

a) The Northeast Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI:
Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire,
New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont) [ http://www.rggi.org/home
  ] have already started a cap and trade system (the first auctions
were two weeks ago in which all available allowances were auctioned of
at a cost of $3.07/ton).

They are being closely watched by;

b) Midwest Greenhouse Gas Reduction Accord (MGGRA: Iowa, Illinois,
Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and (in Canada) Manitoba); [ http://www.midwesternaccord.org
  ] and

c) The Western Climate Initiative (WCI: Arizona, California, Montana,
New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and (in Canada) British
Columbia, Manitoba, Quebec, and Ontario. [ http://www.westernclimateinitiative.org
  ]

Who are interested in in setting up regional cap and trade networks.
Hence, in a Canadian, North American, and global context, the cap and
trade approach has a head start.

Some may favour one approach or the other, however, it is simply
playing non-productive partisan politics to demonize either, when it
is clear that both would be effective.

To underscore: both Page and Jaccard emphasize that both approaches
are effective, they are vastly to be preferred over the Conservatives
"aspirational" intensity-based targets which are a complete sham and
are next to useless, and in the future carbon emissions programs will
likely incorporate elements of both approaches.

The message: lets stop divisive partisan quibbling, defeat the
Conservatives, and get on with it! :->

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka