[Sust-mar] Upcoming School of Planning Conference

Heather Ternoway hternoway at eastlink.ca
Mon Feb 2 06:40:25 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

The annual School of Planning conference module is coming up - see
below for details.

Sustainable Action: Turning Challenges into Opportunities
Dalhousie School of Planning Conference | February 11–13, 2009
Pier 21 |1055 Marginal Road | Halifax

Each year the students of the School of Planning at Dalhousie
University organize a conference on a current urban and rural planning
issue. This conference provides an excellent forum for community
members, students and professionals to explore and debate planning uses
that affect their daily lives.

This year’s conference, “Sustainable Action: Turning Challenges into
Opportunities,” will take place from February 11-13, 2009 at Pier 21.
It will explore the increasingly popular topic of sustainability and
the economy. Through engaging speakers and interactive workshop
sessions, we will explore how the future development and growth of our
municipality, province, and nation can be sustainable.

Our keynote speaker, Dr. Marc Weiss, will discuss the opportunity to
engage Halifax as a pilot community in developing a “Climate Prosperity
Strategy” developed by the International Economic Development Council.
Such a progressive strategy could act as a lasting legacy of the
conference and its sponsors.

Our introductory panel, including Dr. Marc Weiss (Global Urban
Development), Frank Palermo (Faculty of Architecture & Planning), Jim
Spatz (Southwest Properties) and Andy Filmore (HRM Urban Design
Manager), is poised to discuss difficult challenges in Halifax and Nova
Scotia that are inherently connected to economic development, the
environment and planning.

The conference program provides opportunities for citizens, students
and professionals to come together to develop solutions and action
plans for creating a sustainable future.

In addition, an Ideas Competition has been launched to foster
innovation, creativity and excellence by engaging post-secondary
students in the region in developing ideas to implement sustainability
locally. An exhibition of these ideas will take place at the
conference; participants will select the winner of the Mayor's Award
for Excellence and Innovation in Planning.

For more information, please visit the conference website. Admission is
free – we do ask that you register by February 9 to secure a spot.

http://planningconference.dal.ca