[Sust-mar] MARCH ISSUE The Nova Scotia Policy Review

The Review editor at policyreview.ca
Thu Mar 5 13:49:42 EST 2009

The Nova Scotia Policy Review is an independent magazine that explores our common life in the community with style and spark. Each quarterly issues covers politics, culture and justice, drawing on a wide range of voices to pose real solutions to pressing problems. Its original reporting has been cited as evidence in the legislative assembly and municipal chambers and has been republished in the daily press.

CURRENT ISSUE: MARCH 2009

The MARCH issue looks at the role of Indigenous knowledge in our culture and economy - from democracy, to the fisheries, to academia. ? In a new department called Community Economics, the Coastal Learning Communities Network sets out its concept for a just restoration of the fisheries. Caroline Cameron calls attention to the cultural and political place of Gaelic and Mi'kmaw in our communities. And the differences between classical and Indigenous approaches to research are given a personal reading in a new book by Shawn Wilson.

ALSO:

?Matthew Scott writes about coming home in "Blomidon or bust." Arts consultant Andrew David Terris describes how culture is moving from the margins to the centre of our economy and why we need to invest in our creative core. And Shauna MacKinnon in Manitoba surveys national and regional approaches to poverty reduction.

? Chris Arsenault's critical history of Agent Orange in Canada is reviewed. The question of political education in schools is raised - and answered. The public value in farmland is documented. And the conceptual problems in creating the new department of economic and rural development are outlined. ? There are briefs on an online farmers' market, reading out the recession, coastal concerns in St. Margaret's Bay, geomatics and community action, and what's missing from the province's new climate change action plan. ? The Regional Review digests youth and family policy in New Brunswick and the state of poverty in Ontario - and offers a comic take on the work-life balance of politicians. ? There's also a summary of pressing social problems in Nova Scotia and George Orwell weighs in on the silent protest of journalists at The Chronicle Herald.

? Plus: new cartoon by Janet Larkman and artwork by Jack McMaster.

The Nova Scotia Policy Review
"A little companion to democracy"
Published quarterly by Finest Point Periodicals Ltd

P.O. Box 447
Bridgetown NS
B0S 1C0
Phone:  902 665 4538
Fax:      902 665 4981

Subscribe at www.policyreview.ca or email editor at policyreview.ca

This new issue will be mailed to subscribers in the second week of March.