[Sust-mar] Sustainable Transportation Focus Group - this Saturday!

Leon de Vreede leon at ruralsustainability.org
Tue Mar 24 18:36:11 EDT 2009

For your information, this Saturday, March 28, from 10AM to 3PM, there will
be a public meeting on sustainable transportation held at the MARC (in
Dayspring, just outside of Bridgewater).  The Municipality of the District
of Lunenburg will be working with the Ecology Action Centre to hear the
public's suggestions for making transportation systems in Lunenburg County
work more efficiently and sustainably, which may include:
• Reducing car trips
• Developing public transit systems
• Promoting walking, cycling, and other forms of active transportation
• Increasing efficiency of trucking & other large transport

The event is free and lunch will be provided.  RSVPing your attendance is
appreciated but not mandatory (please contact Douglas Reid, not me!).
Details are in the attached invite.

Cheers,
Leon
__________________________
Leon de Vreede
Sustainability Planner
Town of Bridgewater

INVITATION TO SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION FOCUS GROUP

The Municipality of the District of Lunenburg wishes to invite you to attend
a public session scheduled for the MARC facility in Dayspring [33 Leary
Fraser Road] - Saturday 28 March, from 10:00AM to 3:00PM.

This event is free. Lunch will be provided to all attendees. The meeting is
open to all, and it is felt the day's activities will be of note to many
diverse interests found in our region, including: Youth; Seniors Groups;
Residents facing barriers to transportation; Local businesses; and Social
services providers.

The Municipality is co-hosting the event with the Ecology Action Centre, who
will act as facilitators to the meeting. The Ecology Action Centre brings a
wealth of information and awareness on transportation issues in communities,
with over ten years of experience promoting better transportation options
for Nova Scotians. The Ecology Action Centre will also be presenting some
best practices as to what other communities have done elsewhere.

The intent is to hear from you as to what ways local government can begin to
address some of the present-day transportation challenges and opportunities.
We want to hear your ideas in seeing our communities move forwards in
enabling a wider array of sustainable transportation practices.

The day's outcomes will help us to consider what future actions are to be
identified, and prioritized, in the Municipality's Integrated Community
Sustainability Plan [ICSP]. By 2010, the Municipality, and all others in
Nova Scotia, must complete an ICSP in order to continue receiving a portion
of gas tax funding from the federal government. Under the ICSP,
Municipalities can look to use a portion of their funding on transportation
infrastructure.

If you are interested in participating on the 28th, a more detailed agenda
can be sent to you, by contacting the undersigned by phone or by email. We
are asking you to register with us ahead of time [although not mandatory] so
that we may able to provide everyone with sufficient food over the lunch
hour.

Feel free to pass forward this invitation to others in your community you
think would be interested. We look forward to holding a worthwhile
discussion with a diverse group of area residents and stakeholders.

Sincerely,

Douglas Reid.
ICSP Coordinator.
dreid at modl.ca