[Sust-mar] Greenpeace Climate Action Camps, Vancouver & Halifax

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Oct 21 10:42:54 EDT 2009

[as posted to the Planet Calendar, www.Planetfriendly.net/calendar/  ]

CLIMATE ACTION CAMPS

Training Activists to Stop Climate Change

http://www.greenpeace.ca/en/action-camp

PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY >>> APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING

Politicians talk about climate change, but do nothing. Tired

of all the hot air? Now you can do something! Register for

a Greenpeace Climate Action Camp and learn how peaceful

civil disobedience can make Canada a climate leader.

WHAT ARE THE CLIMATE ACTION CAMPS?

Organized by Greenpeace, Climate Action Camps are

weekend-long, training camps in peaceful civil disobedience

for those who are concerned about climate change and have

lost confidence in their political leaders.

We want to inspire Canadians to take part in activities that

will pressure the federal governments to stop global warming.

Register for a Greenpeace Climate Action Camp and learn how

peaceful civil disobedience can turn Canada into a climate leader.

WHAT IS CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE?

Civil disobedience can be a sit-in, a protest, a strike, a

blockade, a flash mob, a cyberaction or a cyber-petition.

People undertake acts of civil disobedience when their

governments no longer serve their needs. Our current

governments are not serving us by doing nothing to

stop climate change.

Gandhi and Martin Luther King helped change nations through

peaceful civil disobedience. Now, we must take action.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND AN ACTION CAMP?

If you are tired of all the hot air and no action from

Canadian politicians on climate change, then you should

attend to learn how to help make Canada a leader, part of

the global solution to climate change.

Every day, the impacts of climate change are worsening

as the world's temperature continues to rise. We face an

unprecedented environmental disaster if Ottawa fails to act.

By organizing an act of civil disobedience, you will add

your voice to thousands of others who demand that our

governments acts to stop man-made climate change.

WHAT IS THE PROGRAM?

At the Climate Action Camps, experienced activists will give

workshops on climate change and the tar sands, peaceful

civil disobedience, environmental justice, art and activism,

campaign planning, and getting the message out to the media.

There will be something for everyone. An action camp is a

great way for both new and experienced activists to learn

new skills, hone techniques and join like-minded people

for action.

WHAT IS THE DEMAND?

We will demand leadership from our governments at the

crucial United Nations conference on climate change in

Copenhagen in December, when the world will set new targets

for greenhouse gas reductions. Up to now, Canada has

undermined efforts to reduce global emissions. Now,

Canada must be part of the solution.

CALENDAR

Greenpeace will run Climate Action Camps in five cities

across the country from the end of August to November.

Camps will be held:

* Edmonton, Alberta: August 28-30

* Toronto, Ontario: October 2-4

* Montreal, Quebec: October 16-18

* Vancouver, British Columbia: November 6-8

* Halifax, Nova Scotia: November 20-22

Suggested donation for the weekend is $20 - $50 (including

meals) but no one will be turned away due to lack of funds.

Please note that if you wish to participate in subsequent

acts of peaceful civil disobedience, it is very important

that you attend the entire weekend of a Climate Action Camp.

We encourage participants to carpool to the camps.

Act now to stop climate change!

To register online and for more information:

http://www.greenpeace.ca/en/action-camp

For more information, contact:

Angela Woodcock

angela.woodcock at greenpeace.org

t: 416-597-8408 X 3048 or 416 824 4183

BACKGROUND

In December 2009, the fate of the earth will be decided at

the United Nations climate change conference in Copenhagen.

We must demand leadership from our government to make

Canada part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

At the Climate Action Camps, experienced trainers will give

workshops on climate change, peaceful civil disobedience,

environmental justice, art and activism, action planning,

and getting the message out to the media.

Suggested donation for the weekend is $20 - $50 (including

meals) but no one will be turned away due to lack of funds.

.

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at

GoodWorkCanada.ca.

PLEASE KEEP GOODWORK SUSTAINABLE:

(1) Help spread the word -- please tell others about GoodWork.

(2) When applying, tell them you saw this opportunity on GoodWork.

(3) Contribute if you can: http://Planetfriendly.net/goodworkdonate.html

POST A JOB OR OTHER LISTING:

GoodWork Green Jobs: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

PlanetVolunteer: http://PlanetVolunteer.net

Green Events Calendar: http://Planetfriendly.net/calendar/

Contact us: http://Planetfriendly.net/inquiry.html

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

UN-SUBSCRIBE: the unsubscribe address is found at

the very bottom of this message, and here:

GOODWORK relies on your payments and contributions.

Please make your cheque payable to:  People and Planet,

PO Box 21006, RPO Ottawa South, Ottawa ON, Canada  K1S 5N1.

Or donate online: http://Planetfriendly.net/donate.html

Pay online: http://Planetfriendly.net/goodworkpmt.html

(Not tax-deductible. If you want a receipt, please indicate so,

and include your e-mail address so we can send you one.)

TERMS & CONDITIONS: The information provided in this message

is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational

purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada")

is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness,

completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability

of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen

or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you

decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any

other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your

responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against

injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our

full Terms & Conditions: http://Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online.

Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca