[Sust-mar] 17 peace-related events + NDP MLA Percy Paris' Comments in the House about Lockeed Martin

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Sat Oct 31 08:03:06 EDT 2009

17 peace and conflict events and resources. Plus read below NDP MLA &
Minister of Economic & Rural Development Percy Paris' recent remarks in the
House on Lockheed Martin, [the world largest weapons manufacturer that is
growing in our province:
http://www.novascotiabusiness.com/en/home/newsevents/NewsReleases/lockheedma
rtin.aspx]

Please scroll through this list. Peace is an environmental issue. Without
peace we cannot achieve "sustainable prosperity".

(1)
GOLDSTONE REPORT ON GAZA
The Goldstone report on Gaza conflict last December & this past January.
Richard J. Goldstone is a jew and a former South African Constitutional
Court judge. Watch his interview on PBS : http://www.supportgoldstone.org/
(2 minutes)
Read this:
http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/specialsession/9/docs/UNFFMGC
_Report.pdf

(2)
FROM KABUL TO HALIFAX: MUSICAL PERFORMANCE AND FILM SCREENING NOV. 3
November 3 from 7-9:30 pm
Location:  Kenneth C. Rowe Heritage Hall
Pier 21, Canada’s Immigration Museum
1055 Marginal Road, Halifax
 BRIDGESTHATUNITE presents From Kabul to Halifax: Musical Performance and
Film Screening
This event will examine Canada's role in Afghanistan from a development
perspective and explore how, with thoughtful Canadian leadership, success is
possible. The evening will feature a musical performance by renowned
Afghan-Canadian musician Vaheed Kaacemy and a screening of award-winning
documentary film-maker Richard Phinney’s documentary on Afghanistan: Giving
Peace a Chance. About the artist: Vaheed Kaacemy, who presently makes his
home in Toronto, is one of Afghanistan’s most popular singers. Born in
Kabul into a distinguished family of musicians, Kaacemy is a versatile
performer with an extensive repertory, and has researched and collected
music throughout Afghanistan and performs ghazals, folk songs, and
instrumental tunes as well as his own compositions. His many recordings for
Afghan radio and television over the past thirty years have won the hearts
of three generations of listeners. Special guided tours of the
BRIDGESTHATUNITE exhibit will begin at 7pm, with performance and film
screening to commence at 7:30. Registration is free, however seating is
limited. For more information and to reserve tickets please visit
http://fromkabultohalifax.eventbrite.com.
This event is presented by Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) as part of the
month-long exhibition, BRIDGESTHATUNITE. From October 4 to November 4,
BRIDGESTHATUNITE will be presented at Pier 21 in the Ralph and Rose Chiodo
Harbourside Gallery, along with a series of special events, including film
screenings, musical performances, lectures and panel discussions. For more
information please visit www.bridgesthatunite.ca. AKFC thanks the Canadian
International Development Agency (CIDA) and Pier 21 for their support.

(3)
PRAYER VIGIL FOR PALESTINE NOV. 15
You are invited to a Prayer Vigil for our Palestinian brother and sisters
Sunday November 15, 2009 7-8pm. Join with St. John's United Church and the
Lutheran Church of the Resurrection as we offer prayers, a space for silent
mediation, and the making of cards to go to the Augusta Victoria Hospital,
in East Jerusalem (offers chemo and dialysis services to Palestinian
people). The Vigil is at the Lutheran Church of the Resurrection (corner of
Windsor and Allan St., Halifax). It will consist of an opening welcome and
prayer, candle lighting, silence, music interlude, and closing prayer. A
reception provided by St.John's United will follow in the Lutheran Church
Hall. For  information about the crisis in Gaza, please see this link from
the International Committee of the Red Cross.
http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/palestine-news-290609?opend
ocument   This link also has on it another link with a hard hitting report
entitled "GAZA: 1.5 million people trapped in despair."  It will be
available at the reception.

(4)
AFGHANISTAN: NOBLE FIGHT OR LOST CAUSE? NOV. 10
Maclean’s and CPAC are holding a live debate on November 10th at the
Neptune Theatre on the topic Afghanistan: Noble Fight or Lost Cause?
This debate is sure to spark debate and we thought your students would be
particularly interested in attending. The debate will be filmed live on
CPAC, and there will be opportunity at the end of the debate for a Q&A with
the speakers and panellists.
8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Neptune Theatre, Studio Theatre, 1593 Argyle Street,
Tickets On Sale Now: $15 Maclean’s subscribers, students and seniors, $20
non-subscribers
For more information visit www.macleans.ca/inconversation
Contact: LINA GRAHAM
Marketing Manager, Canadian Business | Maclean’s | MoneySense | PROFIT
One Mount Pleasant Road, 11th Floor
Toronto, ON M4Y2Y5 T: 416.764.1292 F: 416.764.1216
E: lina.graham at publishing.rogers.com

(5)
CLIMATE WARS LECTURE BY GWYNNE DYER ON NOVEMBER 12, 2009, DALHOUSIE
Time:  7:00 pm
Location: Potter Auditorium, Rowe Building, Dalhousie University, 6100
University Ave
Halifax
Lecture by Gwynne Dyer, International Journalist & Broadcaster, London UK.
Part of the Environment, Sustainability and Society Thursday Evening Lecture
Series.
Free and open to all.
Contact: Ingrid Cottenden, Program Secretary
College of Sustainability, Dalhousie University
sustainability.dal.ca
Ph. (902) 494-4581
Fax (902) 494-8923
sustainability at dal.ca

(6)
PROF. MARC ELLIS  SPEAKING IN HALIFAX “JUDAISM DOES NOT EQUAL ISRAEL”
NOV. 15
Sunday, Nov 15, 2 pm
Alumni Hall, New Academic Building, University of King's College, Halifax
Ssponsored by Independent Jewish Voices - Canada: Canadians Arabs and Jews
for a Just Peace
*	Marc Ellis is a iconoclastic theologian and University Professor of
Jewish Studies, Professor of History, Director, Center for Jewish Studies,
at Baylor University, Waco, Texas.
*	Professor Ellis has authored and edited more than twenty books.
Among them are: Faithfulness in an Age of Holocaust, Toward a Jewish
Theology of Liberation, Beyond Innocence and Power: Confronting the
Holocaust and Israeli Power, Ending Auschwitz: The Future of Jewish and
Christian Life, Unholy Alliance: Religion and Atrocity in Our Time,
O'Jerusalem: The Contested Future of the Jewish Covenant, Practicing Exile:
The Religious Journey of an American Jew, Out of the Ashes: The Search for
Jewish Identity in the Twenty-first Century, and Reading the Torah Out Loud:
A Journey of Lament and Hope
*	His most recent book is Judaism Does Not Equal Israel (Judaism ≠
Israel)
Commentary on Marc Ellis's work:
Archbishop Desmund Tutu, Nobel Laureate:
"Marc Ellis shows that the voice of prophecy has not been silenced in the
Jewish community. We will all be the poorer if Ellis' voice is not heeded
but how wonderfully enriched if it is."
Professor Susannah Heschel, the Eli Black Chair in Jewish Studies at
Dartmouth College:

(7)
US DIPLOMAT RESIGNS IN PROTEST OVER AFGHANISTAN - READ HIS LETTER!
*U.S. Diplomat and former Iraq soldier, Matthew Hoh, resigns in protest over
war in Afghanistan. Read his incredible resignation letter:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/obamas-afghan-strategy-hit-
by-deaths-and-dissent-1810517.html

(8)
BE INSPIRED BY OTTAWA’S PEACE FESTIVEAL
Check out Ottawa’s recent Peace Festival:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=d986hkj_28dht9dtfn

(9)
OH GOD YOU PEOPLE LEAVE US ALONE, VIDEO FROM AFGHANISTAN*
Watch from the U.K.'s Guardian, a riveting, heartbreaking, extended video by
photojournalist Sean Smith, who spent a month embedded with American forces
in Afghanistan. The old man's face, the women shrieking, the soldiers weary,
angry and uncomprehending - what else needs to be said about the U.S.
venture there
http://www.commondreams.org/further/2009/10/28-4
Watch it here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2009/oct/28/afghanistan-war-us-strateg
y  (7 minutes)

(10)
SOCIETIES OF PEACE: MATRIARCHIES PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE
Inanna Publications and Education Inc. is proud to announce the release of a
new anthology:
edited by Heide Goettner-Abendroth.
Societies of Peace: Matriarchies Past, Present, and Future celebrates
women’s largely ignored and/or invisible contribution to culture by
exploring matriarchal societies that have existed in the past and that
continue to exist today in certain parts of the world. Matriarchal
societies, primarily shaped by women, have a non-violent social order in
which all living creatures are respected without the exploitation of humans,
animals, or nature.  They are well-balanced and peaceful societies in which
domination is unknown and all beings are treated equally. This book presents
these largely misunderstood societies, both past and present, to the wider
public, as alternative social and cultural models that promote trust,
mutuality, and abundance for all. Contrary to common belief, which
misunderstands matriarchy as “women’s rule,” these societies are based on
a tradition of gender equality, negotiate their political decisions through
consensus, have intelligent rules to ensure a peaceful life, and are
balanced both in regard to gender and with respect to the generations, and
which demonstrates an ecologically appropriate way of dealing with all
living beings. The example of matriarchal societies can inspire us to find
better social and cultural models for the solution of many contemporary
problems.
http://www.amazon.ca/Societies-Peace-Matriarchies-Present-Future/dp/09782233
57

(11)
LOCKHEED MARTIN WORST OFFENDER IN US FEDERAL CONTRACTOR MISCONDUCT DATABASE
The Nova Scotia government is expanding the world’s largest weapons
manufacturer in our province who also happens to be the biggest fraudster in
the US. Look at the numbers here: http://www.contractormisconduct.org/
Please tell this NS NDP government we don’t want Lockheed Martin and the
arms dealers - we can’t have weapons and war as the basis for our economy.
Please help me and write to the premier:
Office of the Premier
Telephone: 902-424-6600
Fax: 902-424-7648
Toll-free Message Line: 1-800-267-1993
E-mail Address: premier at gov.ns.ca
Mailing Address:
Office of the Premier
PO Box 726
Halifax, Nova Scotia
B3J 2T3.

(12)
PLEASE READ NDP MLA PERCY PARIS’ RECENT REMARKS IN THE HOUSE ON LOCKHEED
ERD - AEROSPACE COMPANIES: NOVA SCOTIA - EXPANSION
HON. RICHARD HURLBURT: Mr. Speaker, my question through you is to the
Minister of Economic and Rural Development. I hope he is aware that Nova
Scotia's aerospace industry is valued at $600 million to Nova Scotia's
economy on an annual basis,
[Page 1633]
and that 6,000 individuals are employed. If you combine the defence
component, the value to Nova Scotia's economy is $1.5 billion.
My question for the minister, Mr. Speaker, through you today is, are you
aware of any new companies related to the aerospace industry wanting to
expand into Nova Scotia?
HON. PERCY PARIS: Mr. Speaker, I'm pleased to report that NSBI has been very
active in that industry, and a recent indication of that activity would be
the relocation of Lockheed Martin here in metro.
MR. HURLBURT: Mr. Speaker, that's the answer - I at least got an answer, I
guess. I was expecting to hear about Xperion, that wants to locate in Nova
Scotia. They want to put a plant in my community of Yarmouth. They made the
announcement a year ago. They wanted some funding to assist them, but a
company that is under the minister's jurisdiction, Composites Atlantic, that
is owned by the taxpayers of this province - 50 per cent - under that
minister's jurisdiction wants to partner with Xperion from Europe and they
want to put a factory in our community for upwards to 300 employees. So my
question to the minister is, are you aware of this file and have you read
anything on it yet?
MR. PARIS: Mr. Speaker, I'm surprised at the question, and actually, there
have been a couple of meetings. After taking on the portfolio of Minister of
Economic and Rural Development, I had visited Composites Atlantic. We had a
tour. I visited the facility along with my deputy minister, other members of
staff and NSBI. We are working well with Composites Atlantic and we will
continue to work with Composites Atlantic as they work through some things
in the expansion of their own company.
MR. HURLBURT: Mr. Speaker, since this do-nothing Party has come to office,
that company - the job losses they have at Composites Atlantic in this
province. There is an opportunity here to grow the economy of Nova Scotia.
Xperion has showed an interest in this province, they put the money up,
they've showed that they had the financial means to put approximately three
more factories in this province. Mr. Speaker, EADS has already let it be
known that they want to sell Composites Atlantic. That minister is
responsible for Composites Atlantic. I'm asking that minister today, for all
Nova Scotians, what are you doing for that company to make sure the
investment the taxpayers of Nova Scotia put into Composites Atlantic is
secured and we expand the jobs in this province?
MR. PARIS: Mr. Speaker, I thought I had just answered the question.
(Interruptions)
MR. SPEAKER: Order. Order.
MR. PARIS: The fact that we were there, the fact that we have been meeting
with Composites Atlantic, just the fact that we are aware of the situation,
the fact that we are working with them, the fact that were are doing due
diligence and along with my deputy
TEXT here:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/legislature/hansard/han61-1/house_09oct22.htm#I[Page
1633]

[Tamara’s Note: Please tell MLA Paris you don’t support an economic growth
strategy for Lockheed Martin in our province:
Constituency Office:
273 Windsor Junction Road,
Windsor Junction, NS B2T 1G7
Phone: (902) 860-4004
Fax: (902) 860-0197
E-mail: percy at percyparis.ca]

(13)
LOOK AT HOW MUCH WE SPEND FEDERALLY ON ENVIRONMENT VERSUS MILITARY
Go to Public Accounts of Canada:
http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/recgen/txt/72-eng.html then click on Volume 2
and then click on Table 1. You will see that for this last audited accounts
we spent $17 billion on the Department of National Defence and only $1
billion on Environment Canada (the lead agency on climate change!). Now we
are spending $20 Billion on the military and still only $1 billion on
environment. PDF here: http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/recgen/pdf/50-eng.pdf
*The federal government plans to spend another $490 billion on the military
over the next 20 years under the Canada First Defence Strategy:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/first-premier/index-eng.asp *Our tax
dollars should go to climate change and child care!

(14)
PLEASE READ PREMIER DEXTER'S REMARKS TO THE ARMS DEALERS BELOW. [Tamara's
note: The federal government gave Lockheed Martin, the world's largest
weapons manufacturer and producer of nuclear weapons, cluster bombs and
hellfire & PAC missles, $2 billion dollars (our tax dollars) to upgrade the
combat systems on the frigates in NS and then the provincial NS government
gave Lockheed $1.8 million dollars for a payroll rebate on those jobs. We
could have hired nurses, child care staff, teachers and energy auditors
instead. Please tell the federal and provincial governments that you do not
want your tax dollars to go to weapons manufacturers like Lockheed Martin. ]

***********

Speaking Remarks Honourable Darrell Dexter DEFSEC Atlantic September 9, 2009
7:00 p.m. Cunard Centre, Halifax, NS Check against delivery (Audience 200
plus)

Good evening [Business New Brunswick] Minister Boudreau, dignitaries,
colleagues, ladies and gentlemen… A special welcome to the many partners
who have traveled to Nova Scotia for this important trade exhibition,
especially to our partners from Atlantic Canada. We are pleased to be your
host for DEFSEC Atlantic, the largest exhibition of its kind in Eastern
Canada.

I understand that this is one of the most unique events of its kind in the
country. I am honoured to both represent the government of the Province of
Nova Scotia and to speak on behalf of this region and industry. With
companies represented here from Canada and around the world, it is an
excellent forum for collaboration among industry and government
stakeholders.

We believe that partnership and collaboration is key in growing this sector
not only for Nova Scotia, but also for our Atlantic neighbors. Over the last
seven years, Nova Scotia’s aerospace and defence industry has grown by an
astounding 183 per cent. In 2008, aerospace and aerospace parts
manufacturing accounted for more GDP then fishing, forestry, agriculture and
tourism combined, in our province.

Here in Nova Scotia, the industry generates in excess of $600 million in
revenues each year. When combined with defence spending, the industry
contributes $1.5 billion to the provincial economy each year. The aerospace
and defense industry in Nova Scotia is helping to build a more prosperous
economy in this province. With 80 per cent of annual aerospace sales
destined for export, the industry is poised to capitalize on future growth
opportunities.

This government is committed to supporting the aerospace and defense
industry in Nova Scotia because we recognize the opportunities that these
industries play in supporting our economy. For instance, in July, I was in
attendance when Lockheed Martin Canada opened its new home in Nova Scotia.
The company plans to create up to 100 great career opportunities for our
young and talented workforce as well as our seasoned professionals.

These jobs offer excellent wages and working conditions that will help to
keep our skilled and experienced workers employed at home. Nova Scotia is
fortunate to have the Aerospace and Defence Industry Association of Nova
Scotia to support the advancement of the sector and the Human Resources
Partnership to work with employers to meet skills and labour needs.

As a province, we have the highest concentration of Canadian Forces
personnel in Canada. I know from my experience in the Navy how important the
armed forces are to the history of this province and our economy. (insert
story from your time in the Navy if you like). Investment in Nova Scotia by
companies like Lockheed Martin, L-3 Communications, General Dynamics, Pratt
& Whitney and others in Atlantic Canada, helps business in the industry
flourish.

Given the strength of this industry and strong partnerships, I am confident
that we will continue to see growth and economic spin offs from this
promising industry- which translates into more opportunity for all of us.
Thank you for the opportunity to speak and I wish you much success during
this exhibition. I hope you find it both productive and successful. Thank
you -END-

***********

(15)
MALALAI JOYA “A WOMAN AMONG WARLORDS” IN HALIFAX ON NOV. 21
Mark your calendars for Nov. 21 in the evening to hear courageous Afghan MP
Malalai Joya and author of the new book "Woman Among the Warlords". More
details to come. Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition (HPC).
For more information, visit: www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org / Email:
halifaxpeacecoalition at gmail.com

(16)
FORMER SENATOR DOUG ROCHE “OBAMA & THE CHANCE FOR NUCLEAR ABOLITION” IN
DEC.
Mark your calendars for Dec. 2 & 3 to hear Former Senator Douglas Roche talk
on "Obama and the Chance for Nuclear Abolition" and find out more about his
new book "Creative Dissent: A Politician Struggle for Peace." More details
halifaxpeacecoalition at gmail.com

(17)
PROTEST WAR CRIMINAL CONDI RICE ON DEC. 10
Help us protest former US Secretary State Condoleezza Rice in Halifax at
2:30 pm at the Cunard Centre on Th. Dec. 10 (international human rights
day!): http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1143777.html Rice should be
indicted for war crimes and crimes against humanity for the illegal war in
Iraq, extraordinary rendition, murdering innocent Afghans & Iraqis by
torture, Abu Ghraib abuse of detainees, Guantanamo Bay Detention Centre
abuse of detainees, the list goes on... More details to come. Organized by
the Halifax Peace Coalition (HPC). For more information, visit:
www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org / Email: halifaxpeacecoalition at gmail.com

** Muriel Duckworth spoke out against a war economy - we need to continue to
do her work so our Nova Scotian economy  and society does not become more
entrenched in militarism.

For a world without violence, war and weapons for our children - it is the
ONLY sustainable future possible.

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN) Sessional
Instructor, Dalhousie University 2009 BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
ECJ: http://www.ecojustice.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary
spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility
to poverty, racism, and militarism." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.