[Sust-mar] Global Climate Wake-Up Call Monday September 21 - local events

Peter Watson pwatson at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 16 22:56:56 EDT 2009

Global Climate Wake-Up Call Monday September 21

There are four Halifax area events listed so far:

Time: Monday, September 21 at 12:00 PM
Venue:: Nova Scotia Legislature
Place: 1726 Hollis Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Host: Tom MacDonald

Time: Monday, September 21 at 12:18 PM
Venue: Halifax Waterfront
Place: Halifax Waterfront, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Host: Zaque

Time: Monday, September 21 at 12:30 PM
Venue:: Sidewalk and steps in front of Chapter house
Place: Chapter House, 5743 Univeristy Ave, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Host: MERGE - Jenna
Dalhousie students as they rally for climate change after class!

Time: Monday, September 21 at 12:15 PM
Venue:: Church Parking Lot
Place: 1200 Bedford Highway, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Host: David Hart
front of the church, along the Bedford Highway, to wave our phones and call
everyone to wake up.

As of now there are no events listed elsewhere in Atlantic Canada, but it's
not too late to organize one!

http://www.avaaz.org/en/tcktcktck_map

Dear friends,

Avaaz members have registered a staggering 1000 events in 88 countries for
Monday's great global climate wake up call!

A thousand events is impressive, but if hundreds of thousands of us come to
them on Sept. 21st -- we'll send an historic flood of grass roots messages
to world leaders meeting the next day in New York, just in time to revive
dangerously flagging climate talks.

This Monday, join the great global wake-up call -- let's come together for a
few minutes in public places worldwide to press leaders to get climate
negotiations back on track!

Some of the events are major, like screenings of the new climate film The
Age of Stupid -- but most are very short "flash" events -- taking just 5
minutes during our lunch hour or on the way home from work. They're fun,
politically powerful, and we can meet other great Avaaz people of all ages
and walks of life. No preparation needed -- just come along and bring
friends! The planet needs us, let's get together and save it -- click below
to find an event nearby:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/tcktcktck_map

If there isn't an event near you, click below to host your own global
wake-up call event!

http://www.avaaz.org/en/sept21_hosts/

Our call is for leaders to sign an ambitious, fair and binding global treaty
that will stop a climate catastrophe. Next week is the last time our leaders
are scheduled to meet this year on climate! With their negotiations way off
track, it really does depend on us. Let's amaze them.

See you on the 21st,

Paul, Iain, Graziela, Ricken, Alice J, Ben, Milena, Brett, Taren, Pascal,
Paula, Benji, Alice W, Luis, Raluca, Milena, Veronique, Chris, Margaret,
Julius, and the rest of the Avaaz team

PS: Images and videos from the Global Wake-Up Call events will be combined,
in a matter of hours, into a short movie to be shown in 700 satellite-linked
cinemas at the Age of Stupid's global premiere! The screenings are one night
only, September 21 in the US and Sept 22 in 40+ other countries. You can
find the screenings right on the Wake-Up Call event map at
http://www.avaaz.org/en/tcktcktck_map. For more information about the Age of
Stupid movie (and to buy tickets), see: http://www.ageofstupid.net/.

PPS The Global Wake-Up Call is an open, creative day of action which depends
on the energy and ingenuity of all of us -- so it's also each one of ours to
take and run with. If you think you can involve a leader, well-known public
personality or organisation; if you have a theatre, dance or art group which
could stage its own eye-catching moment in a public place; if you can ask
your church or another institution to ring its bells or want to invite
colleagues to join you for a wake-up flashmob at or outside your workplace,
or make your own unique contribution to the wake-up call in some other way
we haven't even imagined -- go ahead! Don't wait for our approval - just
register your plan with us by emailing it to open21 at avaaz.org.

---------------------------------------

Want to support Avaaz? We're entirely funded by donations and receive no
money from governments or corporations. Our dedicated online team ensures
even the smallest contributions go a long way -- donate here.

ABOUT AVAAZ Avaaz.org is an independent, not-for-profit global campaigning
organization that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's
people inform global decision-making. (Avaaz means "voice" in many
languages.) Avaaz receives no money from governments or corporations, and is
staffed by a global team based in Ottawa, London, Rio de Janeiro, New York,
Buenos Aires, and Geneva. Click here to learn more about our largest
campaigns. Don't forget to check out our Facebook and Myspace and Bebo
pages! You can also follow Avaaz on Twitter!

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us
via the webform at http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact. You can also call us at
+1-888-922-8229 (US) or +55 21 2509 0368 (Brazil).