[Sust-mar] Hikes Showcase Autumn's Beauty

Hike Nova Scotia info at hikenovascotia.ca
Fri Sep 18 08:58:51 EDT 2009

Hikes Showcase Autumn's Beauty

Nova Scotians know how beautiful our province is in autumn. Hike Nova Scotia
and its partners offer a chance to experience that beauty through a series
of guided hikes in September and October.

"Last year's hikes attracted 175 people to six trails all over the
province," says Debra Ryan, Hike Nova Scotia President. "This year we expect
at least that many. With more and more trails being developed and
maintained, hiking is definitely on the rise - and that's a good thing."

The series of guided hikes, held for a second year, provides that extra bit
of motivation some people need to explore our trails. Hikes include:

Clyburn Valley Trail, Cape Breton Highlands National Park, September 19, 9
am, Hike NS Partner: Hike the Highlands Festival and Cape Breton Highlands
National Park

Uniacke Estate Museum Park Trail system, Uniacke Estate Museum Park,
September 27, Registration 9:30 am, Walk 10 am, Hike NS Partner: Dartmouth
Volksmarch Club

Keji Hemlock and Hardwoods Trail, Kejimkujik National Park and National
Historic Site, October 4, 2 pm - 4 pm, Hike NS Partner: Annapolis County
Recreation Services

Franey Trail, Cape Breton Highlands National Park, October 15, 11 am, Hike
NS Partner: Celtic Colours and Cape Breton Highlands National Park

Abraham Lake Trail, Abraham Lake, off Hwy 374, HRM, October 17, 11 am, Hike
NS Partner: Nature Conservancy of Canada

Oakland Trail, Near Mahone Bay, October 25, 10 am, Hike NS Partner: South
Shore Hiking Club

See http://www.hikenovascotia.ca/newsandevents.cfm for contacts and
directions for each hike.

Hike Nova Scotia encourages and promotes hiking, walking and snowshoeing
throughout Nova Scotia. Its website, www.hikenovascotia.ca
<http://www.hikenovascotia.ca/> , is a resource for those looking for
hiking, walking and snowshoeing groups, trails and events. Membership in
Hike NS means keeping up-to-date on the latest hiking news and having a say
in its many projects. Hike NS is supported by the Nova Scotia Department of
Health Promotion and Protection.

"For lots of folks, fall triggers this urge to get outside and walk in the
brisk air," Ryan says. "We've got some spectacular trails all over the
province, especially when the leaves start to change. So we're saying, 'Get
out there!'"