[Sust-mar] Wake up Call 12:00 noon Monday

IBS ibs_pei at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 18 11:05:08 EDT 2009

Wake up Call 12:00 noon Monday

(Mailing list information, including unsubscription instructions,
is located at the end of this message.)

 Dear
Friends,

Our massive 1500 event global climate  wake up call and flood of phone calls to leaders will come just in  time for next week's UN summit. It's going to be big, don't miss it --  find an event nearby:

VIEW  THE MAP
and
Take Action Now

The stage is set. The press is reporting that global climate talks are
in a shambles and the UN summit on Tuesday is the only hope to revive
them.

And together, by Tuesday morning, we'll make sure leaders at that
summit wake up to news that over 1500 rallies, marches, meetings and
"flashmobs" across the planet have flooded the airwaves and their office
phone lines with a wake up call for them to act.

Click below to find
an event nearby -- it's easy, fun, could take just 5 minutes of our lunch
hour, and it will matter. This is going to be big, don't miss it:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/tcktcktck_map

We
have just 78 days left until the final UN meeting in Copenhagen, where we'll
succeed or fail to get an historic global treaty to place binding global limits
on carbon pollution, stop a climate catastrophe and unleash a new clean and
green economy. Our leaders are nowhere near success, they're not even planning
on going to Copenhagen. Let's send them a wake up call they won't
forget.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/tcktcktck_map

(In Charlottetown, PEI the Wake-Up Call  will be Monday Sept 21,
   at
the Canfield Building 191 University Avenue; 12 noon.
)

Looking forward to it...

Ricken, Iain, Milena,
Veronique, Paul, Ben, Graziela, Pascal and the whole Avaaz team.

PS - an
amazing diversity of wake up call events are happening on Monday, from a
drumming circle in Guatemala to a coastal ceremony in French Polynesia to a
march in Kinshasa. But one exciting global event is the premiere of the new
climate change film The Age of Stupid. Images and videos from the
Global Wake-Up Call events will be combined, in a matter of hours, into a short
movie to be shown in 700 satellite-linked cinemas at the Age of Stupid's global
premiere. The screenings are one night only, September 21 in the US and Sept
22 in over 40 other countries. You can find screenings near you along with
all our global wake up call events. For more information about the Age of
Stupid movie (and to buy tickets), see: http://www.ageofstupid.net

------------------------------------

Avaaz.org is a
new global web movement with a simple democratic mission: to close the gap
between the world we have, and the world most people everywhere want.
“Avaaz” means “Voice” in many Asian, Middle Eastern and  Eastern European languages.
Across the world, most people want stronger protections for the
environment, greater respect for human rights, and concerted efforts to end
poverty, corruption and war. Yet globalization faces a huge democratic deficit
as international decisions are shaped by political elites and unaccountable
corporations -- not the views and values of the world’s
people.

Technology and the internet have allowed citizens to connect and
mobilize like never before. The rise of a new model of internet-driven,
people-powered politics is changing countries from Australia to the Philippines
to the United States. Avaaz takes this model global, connecting people across
borders to bring people powered politics to international
decision-making.

Coming together in this way, Avaaz has become a
wonderful community of people from all nations, backgrounds, and ages. Our
diverse community is brought together by our care for the world, and a desire to
do what we can to make it a better place.
In just one year, Avaaz has grown to over 3.5 million  members in every nation of the world.
The core of our model of organizing is our email list, operated in 13
languages. By signing up to receive our alerts, you are rapidly alerted to
urgent global issues and opportunities to achieve change. Avaaz members respond
by rapidly combining the small amounts of time or money they can give into a
powerful collective force. In just hours we can send hundreds of thousands of
messages to political leaders telling them to save a crucial summit on climate change , hold
hundreds of rallies across the world calling for action to prevent a genocide,
or donate hundreds of thousands of euros, dollars and yen to support nonviolent
protest in Burma. Click here to see a list of our
campaigns and impact in 2007.

In less than three years, we’ve grown to
over 3.5 million members, and have begun to make a real impact on global
politics. The Economist writes that Avaaz is poised to deliver “a deafening wake
up call” to world leaders, the Indian Express welcomes “the biggest web
campaigner across the world” and Nobel Prize winner Al Gore says “Avaaz is
inspiring, and has already begun to make a
difference.”
The following information is a reminder of your current mailing
list subscription: