[Sust-mar] Buy your BTS CDs today!

Janelle Frail janellefrail at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 10:22:55 EST 2010

Local Voices
Unite in Music, Justice, Equality and Peace

Maritimes-Guatemala
Breaking the Silence Network launches holiday "Singing Solidarity" CD
fundraiser

THE MARITIMES, DECEMBER 2010- Maritime artists are notorious for
their generosity to their communities. "Singing Solidarity," a CD in
support of the work of the Maritimes-Guatemala Breaking the Silence Network
(BTS), highlights Maritime artists' generosity to the global community, and to
the people who are working locally to build a network of support and strength
between Atlantic Canadians and Latin Americans.

"This
CD not only supports the work of a local organization, but is also a beautiful
collection of songs to have around for the holidays," says Kathryn
Anderson of BTS. BTS is launching the CD in time for the holidays, in hopes
that Maritimers will take the opportunity to support good work while shopping
for friends and family this time of year.

"Singing
Solidarity" features the voices of Lennie Gallant, Tara MacLean, Scott
Parsons and Nancy White from Prince Edward Island; Coco Love Alcorn, Wilf Bean,
Four the Moment, Cheryl Gaudet, Shauntay Grant, and Old Man Luedecke from
Nova Scotia; Border Crossing, Cesar Morales and RA Lautenschlager from New
Brunswick; and Carolyn McDade whose sings with performers from all over Canada
and the US.

The CD is a compilation of songs and spoken
word pieces from these artists, all of whom have donated a recording to the
project. The voices speak of the love of a land and its rivers, and the rending
and violence of a people separated from their land and water. They speak of
individual and collective resistance, solidarity, dignity, hope and
affirmation, and they evoke a commitment to justice, equality and peace.

“Contributing to
this CD is an important way for me to say we are all connected as citizens in
the world," says Wilf Bean. "In many ways, Guatemala is not very far
away. We all need to be aware of how our actions affect those less powerful. It
is also a way of celebrating while we work in solidarity for a more just,
caring and sustainable world!”

All
proceeds from sales of this CD will contribute to BTS's solidarity work. The CD
is available at the Tatamagouche Centre gift shop (902-657-2231) and can be
ordered by contacting Corrie Melanson in Halifax
(corrie.melanson at bellaliant.net), Margie Loo in PEI (loomargie at gmail.com) and
Tracy Glynn in Fredericton (tracy at jatam.org). The BTS network encourages those
who want to buy the CD to get their orders in early to avoid holiday mail.

Stay
tuned for "Singing Solidarity" launches in your community!

About Breaking
the Silence

Breaking the
Silence is a network of individuals and groups in Atlantic Canada who have been
nurturing relationships of solidarity with Guatemalan organizations struggling
for justice and peace in the wake of the genocide of the Mayan people in the
1980s. From its celebrated youth internships to its fair trade relationships,
from human rights accompaniment training to advocacy on behalf of progressive
mining legislation in Canada, BTS has highlighted the power of solidarity in
all its programs and campaigns, and the strength in lasting, healthy
relationships over distances and between cultures. Please support this work!

-30-

For more
information contact:

Janelle
Frail                                                     Moira
Peters

BTS
Volunteer                                                 BTS
Volunteer

902-423-6132                                                  902-455-3184

janellefrail at hotmail.com                              moira.peters at gmail.com