[Sust-mar] Changing Gears: Increasing Young People Cycling in NS workshop

Janet Barlow asrts at ecologyaction.ca
Thu Mar 4 12:45:18 EST 2010

This is an invitation to the workshop Changing Gears: Increasing Young
People Cycling in Nova Scotia taking place Saturday, March 27th from 10
am - 3 pm and held at the Dartmouth Sportsplex Nantucket Room. Please
RSVP before March 25th to workshop at cyclehalifax.ca.

The number of young people who cycle to school, recreational activities
and just for fun has plummeted in the past two decades. This decline in
personal mobility has resulted in increased time in "Mom's and Dad's
Taxi" and to physical inactivity that is causing significant long-term
health problems for the next generation.

The reasons for this decline are multifaceted. They include
infrastructure, land use, safety, perceptions, and various other
factors. This workshop will consider these obstacles and identify
solutions. Our goal is to create a collective action plan that can be
used by governments, schools, young people, parents and anyone with an
interest in youth health and well being to make it safer and more
convenient for young people to cycle or to be cycled.

We hope that you can join us. To confirm your attendance please RSVP
workshop at cyclehalifax.ca.

We will hear from experts and youth who have examined the issue and
offer solutions. Officials from government will explain what they are
doing now and planning for the future. Together with young people who
are looking for new cycling opportunities attendees will develop a plan
for all stakeholders to consider in providing more opportunities for
safe, active transportation in our communities.

We will keep the workshop short (10 am to 3 pm) and provide food and
refreshments. We are looking for your ideas.

This event is co-organized by the Ecology Action Centre's Active & Safe
Routes to School program and the Halifax Cycling Coalition. It is
supported by Transport Canada, The Nova Scotia Department of Health
Promotion and Protection, the Halifax Regional Municipality and Mountain
Equipment Co-op.