[Sust-mar] Fair Trade Focus - JUDES newsletter (March 2010)

Satya Ramen info at judesfairtrade.ca
Tue Mar 16 11:04:43 EDT 2010

Dear Supporters of Fair Trade:

Welcome to the fourth edition of Fair Trade Focus - the newsletter of JUDES
- where you can find information on our activities, upcoming events, and how
to get involved with JUDES.

        i.            Events & Activities

"I have never met a more dedicated, thoughtful, or courageous individual."
Jeff Moore, CEO Just Us! Coffee Roasters Co-op

Please join a special presentation from Leocadio Juracan, Mayan Community
Leader and coffee farmer with the CCDA (Campesino Committee of the
Highland).   This is an amazing opportunity to hear first-hand of the high
cost CCDA farmers are paying in their struggle for peasant rights in
Guatemala.

.         Friday, March 19, 2010: 12 noon pm, Al Whittle Theatre, Main
Street, Wolfville

.          Friday, March 19, 2010: 7:30 pm, Just Us! Spring Garden
Coffeehouse, 5896 Spring Garden Rd, Halifax

.         Sunday, March 21, 2010: 7:30 pm, Fables (Main St), Tatmagouche

.         Monday,  March 22, 2010: Tba (check local listings)

(www.breaking-the-silence.ca).

National Fair Trade Weeks are celebrated during the first two weeks of May
(May 1 - 14), and World Fair Trade Day is on Saturday, May 8, 2010.  It's
not too early to start thinking about how to celebrate in your family,
workplace, and community.  You can host a film screening, host a Fair Trade
coffee break, or take a challenge to choose one more Fair Trade product in
your life.  Check out our website for ideas and information in the next few
weeks.

JUDES will also have our Annual General Meeting during Fair Trade Weeks
(location & date TBA).  Check our website for more information in the weeks
to come.   We will be screening the movie BANANAS!*
(www.bananasthemovie.com).   Juan "Accidentes" Dominguez is on his biggest
case ever. On behalf of twelve Nicaraguan banana workers, he is tackling
Dole Food in a ground-breaking legal battle for their use of a banned
pesticide that was known by the company to cause sterility.  Can he beat the
giant, or will the corporation get away with it? In the suspenseful
documentary BANANAS!*, filmmaker Fredrik Gertten sheds new light on the
global politics of food.  This video is kindly being loaned to us by the
Saint Mary's University International Activities Office.

      ii.            Learn more about Fair Trade

Evolution of Fair Trade

In October 2009, the CBC Radio program Dispatches interviewed Francisco Van
der Hoff, Dutch mission priest, economist, coffee farmer, and co-founder of
Fair Trade, about the future of Fair Trade.  You can listen to this
excellent interview online by going to
<http://www.cbc.ca/dispatches/thisseason/index.html>
http://www.cbc.ca/dispatches/thisseason/index.html (Scroll down to October 1
/ 4 2009), as Franz talks about the challenges of multi-national
corporations becoming involved in Fair Trade.

Parents and Teachers

Wanting to get younger kids engaged in Fair Trade?  A new book has been
published called Think Fair Trade First! (ages 3-8).   Stella & Henry are on
a mission to find the perfect gift. With help from Aunt Mabel, the two
children discover the world of Fair Trade and learn how shopping wisely can
improve people's lives.

JUDES has not yet reviewed this book, but if you do, then let us know what
you think!

http://store.fairtraderesourcenetwork.org/collections/readings-on-fair-trade

Meet the farmers

Do you know who producers your favourite Fair Trade products?  Check out
these websites for more information:

http://transfair.ca/en/producers/profiles

http://www.justuscoffee.com/Producers.aspx

http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/producers/default.aspx

    iii.            How you can help JUDES!

As a non-profit, we rely on community support to help fulfill our
educational mission.  There are lots of ways to help JUDES.

Give the Gift of Membership or Donate

Support Fair Trade education in the Maritimes and buy your family member or
friend a membership with JUDES.  Just $10 makes you a Fair Trade supporter!
We'll even email you a Fair Trade supporter certificate to give as a gift.
For more information or to download a membership form, please visit our
website:  <http://www.judesfairtrade.ca> www.judesfairtrade.ca  Donations
are also always welcome.

Volunteer

Volunteers are at the core of our work.  Whether you have a little or a lot
of time to give, we have the volunteer opportunity for you.  Check out some
volunteer ideas at www.judesfairtrade.ca.

You have received this email, because of your interest in Fair Trade and
connection with JUDES. Help spread the word and pass this on to friends,
family, and co-workers.  Apologies for any cross-postings.  If you would
like to be removed from this quarterly newsletter, then please email us at
info at judesfairtrade.ca.

Satya Ramen

Development Coordinator

Email: satya at judesfairtrade.ca

Tel: 902-542-7474 ext 235 (Mondays & Wednesdays)

Cell: 902-877-0263 (Tuesdays & Thursdays)

JUDES develops public awareness of fair trade and responsible purchasing.
By providing educational resources and facilitating partnerships, JUDES
builds solidarity between consumers and small producers across the
hemispheres with respect to social, environmental, and economic justice.