[Sust-mar] Events Coordinator Summer Student Position
ACIC - Carolyn Whiteway
projects at acic-caci.org
Tue May 11 15:53:36 EDT 2010
Please distribute widely.
Summer Student Position Events Coordinator
The Atlantic Council for International Cooperation (ACIC) is a coalition of
individuals, organizations, and institutions working in the Atlantic region,
which are committed to achieving global sustainability in a peaceful and
healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity, and participation
for all. ACIC supports its members in international cooperation and
education through collective leadership, networking, information, training
and coordination, and represents their interests when dealing with
government and others.
ACIC also takes a leadership role in engaging Atlantic Canadians around
issues relating to international development, global sustainability, and
social justice. Through our public engagement work, ACIC strives to give
Atlantic Canadians the knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to become
active global citizens.
* Assist with the coordination of events related to a youth project
that connects indigenous people from Atlantic Canada and around the world
through the Arts
* Work with a staff team to plan and implement workshops, events and
* Liaise with relevant organizations and individuals to encourage
youth participation in upcoming projects
* Other activities as necessary
Desired Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
* Student with a background in International Development,
Multi-media, Fine or Performing Arts, Public Relations, Education or
* Knowledge of NGO international development and community groups in
* Experience in event planning
* Previous experience working with youth
* Experience working with First Nations and Diaspora Communities an
* Experience creating promotional materials
* Excellent communications skills oral & written
* Ability to work independently
* Experience working with a team
* Excellent organizational and time management skills
* Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Word Press an asset)
To be eligible to participate in Canada Summer Jobs, individuals must:
* be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
* have been registered as full-time students in the previous
academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the
next academic year;
* be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons to whom
refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee
Protection Act; and,
* be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant
provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Location: The position will be based at ACICs office as well as the Nova
Scotia Gambia Association in Halifax.
Salary: $12.00/hour for a 10-week contract (June 16th August 24th), 35
hours per week
Application deadline: May 28th, 2010.
Start date: June 16th , 2010
Please submit your resume, cover letter and the names and contact
information of three references, by e-mail at <mailto:hiring at acic-caci.org>
hiring at acic-caci.org by May 28th at 5:00 pm. Please include 'Events
Coordinator' in the subject line.
Thank you for applying. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted to
arrange for an interview.
ACIC is an equal opportunity employer. Preference will be given to
applicants of Aboriginal ancestry and members of a visible minority.
Carolyn Whiteway, Program Manager
Atlantic Council for International Cooperation/
Conseil atlantique pour la coopération internationale
210-2099 Gottingen Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3K 3B2
Tel/Tél: (902) 431-2311 Fax/Téléc: (902) 431-3216
Email/Courriel: <mailto:info at acic-caci.org> projects at acic-caci.org
SAVE THE DATE! ACIC will hold our Annual General Meeting and Symposium in
Charlottetown, PEI on June 10th, 11th & 12th
More information about the sust-mar