[Sust-mar] Announcements & Upcoming Events related to the environment, children, social justice, & peace

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Fri Apr 8 00:40:15 EDT 2011

Announcements & Upcoming Events related to the environment, children, social
justice, & peace to circulate far & wide. Have a great weekend!

*ANNOUNCEMENTS

(A)
NS FUNDING GRANT SUPPORTS SCHOOL GARDENS
one-time grant of $500 per school is available from the Department of
Agriculture's School Garden Project to build, maintain a garden. The grant
can also be used for teaching materials and soil testing fees. More details:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/news/details.asp?id=20110331002

*Spring gardening workshops at the Harriet Irving Botanical Gardens in
Wolfville: http://www2.acadiau.ca/acadia-event-reader/events/workshops.html

(B)
PETITION AGAINST FRACKING IN NS
Please sign petition to stop hydraulic fracturing in Nova Scotia. Protect
water, land and health. Green energy now:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-fracking-in-nova-scotia/

(C)
SECOND HAND CLOTHING & CHILDREN¡¯S TOY SALE
When: Saturday, April 9th
Where: Cornerstone Wesleyan Church, 1215 Hammonds Plains Rd. (across from
Tim Horton¡¯s)
Time: 9am-1pm
A terrific way to outfit your children with great recycled clothes and
children¡¯s things at a fraction of the cost.
For more info, please contact Paula at paulagreen at eastlink.ca

*UPCOMING EVENTS FOR YOUR INTEREST TO CIRCULATE:

(1)
EARTH DREAM PEACE FILM FESTIVAL IN MAHONE BAY
April 8-10 at the Mahone Bay Community Centre
*Lots of great films including ¡°Breaking Ranks¡±, ¡°Soldiers of Peace,¡±
¡°Myths for Profit¡±, and Scott Taylor's "Afghanistan: Outside the Wire".
The full line-up here: http://earthdreamfilmfest.wordpress.com/

(2)
FILM SCREENING: GASLAND ON APRIL 12 in HALIFAX & APRIL 27 in Wolfville
The Ecology Action Centre and the Council of Canadians Halifax Chapter will
be presenting a free public screening of the Academy Award nominated
documentary, Gasland, April 12, 7:30pm, Room 1020, Rowe Building, Dalhousie
University. Please plan to attend this screening, and participate in casual
conversation afterwards.

+ Wolfville on April 27 come to see the screening of GASLAND, a film on
fracking, at the Acadia Cinema's Al Whittle Theatre:
http://www.fundyfilm.ca/films/documentary/gasland/

ABOUT Hydraulic Fracturing ¡°Fracking¡± and how it threatens the environment
and health in NS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing

(3)
RALLY FOR DEMOCRACY
With Elizabeth May, Leader of the Green Party of Canada ¨C Let Elizabeth
debate!
Saturday, April 9
12:00 ¨C 1:00 p.m.
Sackville Landing, 1655 Lower Water Street, Halifax
Facebook Rally for Democracy:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=176043402447877

(4)
GUATEMALA HUMAN RIGHTS AND MINING TALK WITH CLAUDIA SAMOYOA
WHEN: 10am, Wed. April 13th
WHERE: Just Us! Caf¨¦ on Spring Garden Rd.
WHAT: Enjoy a cup of fair trade coffee and hear Claudia Samoyoa, Coordinator
of the Unit for the Protection of Human Right Defenders and Member of the
Human Rights Convergence of Guatemala. Claudia is a human rights defender,
researcher, and political analyst. She holds an undergraduate degree in
Philosophy and a Masters in Public Policy. Claudia brings an incredible
depth and breadth of analysis to her work.
Join in the discussion of the current situation in Guatemala regarding
mining.

(5)
GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION ON MILITARY SPENDING Tues. April 12 at noon at the
Spring Garden Library in Halifax.
Part of the international day of action to call for the redirection of
spending on war and weapons to social and environmental needs. Cancel the
$30 billion F-35 stealth fighters. More details about local event to come.
Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition and the NS Voice of Women for
Peace: www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca See also: www.demilitarize.org *Please
watch this: http://demilitarize.org/featured/video-figure-cost-save-world/
*Make this an election issue!

(6)
FILM SCREENING & DISCUSSION: FEAST OR FAMINE
Tuesday, April 12/7:00 pm
Spring Garden Rd. Memorial Public Library
Directed by local filmmaker, Timothy Barron Tracey, Feast or Famine explores
the challenges faced by small scale farms and the lack of young farmers to
carry on the knowledge that has been accumulated over generations. Feast or
Famine provides an intimate glimpse into the lives and opinions of those who
work on the land and with nature to bring nourishing food to our tables.
Timothy will answer questions after the film. More info:
http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/programs.html

(7)
RALLY FOR OUR FOREST ¨C APRIL 13TH
The Ecology Action centre and the Nova Scotia Public Lands Coalition are
organizing a big group press conference on Wednesday, April 13th at 10am the
Four Points Sheraton, 1496 Hollis Street followed by a rally for our forests
at Province House starting at 11:30. We are asking for as many groups as
possible to stand up and be counted by signing on to the attached position
statement and to have a representative come and sit at the head table at the
press conference. Groups are also asked to spread the word amongst their
members and to encourage as many people as possible to come out and attend
the event.

(8)
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION CAUCUS MEETING
Our next meeting will be held on Monday, April 18th, from 9am - 11am.
Location will follow.
Please send agenda items to me by Thursday the 14th. More information about
the NSEN Environmental Education Caucus:
http://www.nsen.ca/environmentaleducation.php
Take care,
Lori Anne Hilchey, Coordinator
Atlantic Science Links Association (ASLA)
Email:   sits at dal.ca
FAX:   (902) 494-6889
Phone:  (902) 494-2831 / 1-800-565-7487
http://atlanticsciencelinks.dal.ca

(9)
BOOK LAUNCH: ECHOES OF AFRICA
Sun, 17 April, 16:30 ¨C 18:00
Saint Mary's Art Gallery, Saint Mary's University,  Halifax
he has not stopped working. On April 20 he will launch his newest novel
Echoes of Africa Dr. Pachai describes the the novel as a " salutation to
Africa from a distant country". Dr. Pachai has studied Africa and taught its
history throughout his life in different parts of the world. He remains
amazed by the diverse ways in which Africa is perceived, as well as how
little is really known abroad about its long and tortuous journey. It has a
relatively young population that must come to grips with the legacies of
centuries of uneven and, often, harsh times. The novel selects youth to show
situations that illustrate efforts to make headway against odds or
circumstances that produce poignant moments. In the narrative there is room,
too, for characters of different ages and different races co-existing in
different roles.  ¡°Our times, so beset by conflict and competition, can
surely benefit from a better understanding of other peoples, other places
and, other problems, ¡° he says.

(10)
PROTEST AGAINST LOCKHEED MARTIN - NOT GREEN ENERGY Don't greenwash renewable
energy in Nova Scotia!
Tuesday, April 19
10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
World Trade & Convention Centre
1800 Argyle St., Halifax
It is very serious that Lockheed Martin, the world's largest weapons
manufacturer, is getting involved in renewable energy in this province -
through a tidal power project with Atlantis and Irving Corp. in the Bay of
Fundy, a biomass project in Cape Breton, and attempts last year to get
involved in solar. Lockheed Martin is now sponsoring and speaking at the
upcoming Nova Scotia Renewable Energy Conference in April - please see the
agenda here:
http://www.eiseverywhere.com/ehome/index.php?eventid=17136&tabid=22046& - We
must resist this!

(11)
LOCAL FOOD: WHY IS IT ESSENTIAL FOR NOVA SCOTIANS? WHY LOCAL FOOD MATTERS
Tuesday, April 19/7:00 pm
Spring Garden Rd. Memorial Public Library
Marla MacLeod, Food Connections Project Coordinator at the Ecology Action
Centre, will discuss the Nova Scotia Federation of Agriculture and the
Ecology Action Centre July 2010 report Is Nova Scotia Eating Local? The
report explores the social, economic and environmental benefits of a more
locally based food system. More info:
http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/programs.html

(12)
EARTH DAY RALLY TO BAN FRACKING
Earth Day Rally- April 22
1-2 pm
NS Leglislature (1726 Hollis St)
INVITATION: We are inviting everyone to participate in an Earth Day Rally on
Fracking.  It will be 1 hour long from 1-2 pm in front of the legislature.
BRING WATER: The idea is that we deposit clear jars of water from wells
around the province on the steps as a visual. Each jar will have a label
indicating the well and community it came from.  This will be a powerful
visual for the media.
MORATORIUM AND BAN: The poster indicates we are calling for a moratorium but
we want to make sure there are voices also calling for a ban. We are also
organising music and a sound system.
Earth Day is on Good Friday which is both helpful and a hindrance as some
people are travelling but others aren't working.
ABOUT Hydraulic Fracturing ¡°Fracking¡± and how it threatens the environment
and health in NS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing

(13)
STOP HARPER RALLY
The Halifax-Dartmouth and District Labour Council is organizing a rally with
a very simple message "STOP HARPER".  The rally is set for Monday, April
25th at 1 pm at Victoria Park (Yes, we know it is Easter Monday!)
We will be focusing on four issues, pensions, jobs, pharmacare, and early
childhood education.  But these are our reasons for wanting to STOP HARPER.
We want to make sure every has a chance to get their reasons out.
Kyle Buott
President
Halifax-Dartmouth and District Labour Council
Office - 453-2074
Cell - 478-0239
president at hddlc.ca

(14)
LOCAL FOOD: WHY IS IT ESSENTIAL FOR NOVA SCOTIANS? BRINGING IT TO THE TABLE
Tuesday, April 26/7:00 pm
Spring Garden Rd. Memorial Public Library
Meet Chris de Waal of Getaway Farms, a young newcomer to Nova Scotia farming
(through marriage), who is passionate about farming, local food and
providing high qualify beef product. Chris de Waal is Director of Public
Relations of the Seaport Market and will speak from farming and market
perspectives.

(15)
MAY DAY RALLY, MARCH AND CULTURAL EVENT
Rally and March
Sunday, May 1, 2011  2 p.m
Victoria Park, Corner of South Park and Spring Garden, Halifax, NS

Cultural Event
Sunday, May 1, 2011  3:30 p.m
Mikmaq Friendship Centre on 2158 Gottingen St., Halifax, NS

(16)
PLANNING HEALTHY COMMUNITIES
Nova Scotia Planning Directors Annual Spring Conference
May 5 ©\ 6, 2011  Lord Nelson Hotel, Halifax
Please be sure to mark May 5©\6, 2011 on your calendar for the Nova Scotia
Planning Directors Association annual spring conference! This year, the
conference theme, ¡°Planning Healthy Communities,¡± will focus on the role
that the built environment plays in shaping the physical, psychological and
social health of individuals and their communities. Breakout sessions on
compact community form, active transportation, age©\friendly communities,
affordable housing, and parks and facilities planning will expand upon this
theme. As with other years, we expect to bring together over 100 municipal
politicians, planning advisory committee members, planners and groups or
individuals involved in community development, planning and public health
initiatives. More info: http://www.nspda.ca/

(17)
NATURE NOVA SCOTIA
2011 Annual General Meeting ¨C 3, 4, 5 June ¨C St. Anns, Cape Breton
The annual conference and annual general meeting of Nature Nova Scotia will
be held on the weekend of June 3 thru 5 at the Gaelic College in St. Anns,
Cape Breton. Please set aside this time for field trips, talks and
networking with other Nova Scotia naturalists in this beautiful setting.
http://www.naturens.ca/node/68

(18)
PEOPLE IN PLACES: ENGAGING TOGETHER IN INTEGRATED RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
June 26-29, 2011
An international conference in
Halifax, NS, Canada
Excellent Keynote Speakers:
*For Day One, Clifford Atleo, President of the Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council
in British Columbia, and Dan Edwards, a fourth generation west coast
commercial fishermen and initiator of the West Coast Sustainability
Association, have been invited to give a reflective presentation on the
historical disempowerment of communities and small scale resource harvesters
on Canada¡¯s West Coast.
*Jackie Sunde and Merle Sowman of the University of Cape Town¡¯s
Environmental Evaluation Unit will be our keynote speakers on Day 2,
bringing strong communityuniversity experience, both working on the front
lines of community initiatives relating to natural resources in South
Africa.
*Evelyn Pinkerton of Simon Fraser University and Fikret Berkes of the
University of Manitoba will develop a panel to debate policy options. These
two Canadians are known worldwide for their work on community approaches to
resource management. More info: http://www.coastalcura.ca

(19)
OPEN HOUSE GREENHOUSE MAY 14
HRM greenhouses cultivate most of the plants and flowers for HRM parks and
open spaces. On May 14 we are inviting you and your
family to come and explore our lush greenhouses, meet HRM gardeners and
check out our educational displays. We hope to see you there!
Saturday, May 14, 2011
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Halifax Regional Municipality Greenhouse
62 Caledonia Rd
(off of Main St)
Dartmouth

* Healthy Schools Day is two weeks away¡­ April 11, 2011.
See the projects submitted to date at www.casle.ca/HealthySchoolsDay

In solidarity for peace, earth and justice,

Tamara