[Sust-mar] Social Justice Youth Camp Facilitator Application deadline THIS WEEK!
admin at acic-caci.org
Mon Apr 18 19:34:22 EDT 2011
Title: Social Justice Youth Camp Facilitator (Volunteer position ?
with possibility of remuneration)
ROLE: To be part of a dynamic and diverse team of facilitators that
will ensure the ongoing function of the Social Justice Youth Camp
(SJYC). Facilitators will monitor group dynamics, ensuring that
relevant workshops and activities are prepared and delivered at the
SUPERVISORS: Camp Coordinators
* Facilitators participate in up to two training and planning
sessions prior to the camp. The sessions both strengthen the
facilitation team, and begin to outline that year?s camp.
* Participate in the planning of group learning experiences.
* Facilitate the implementation of planned workshops.
* Participate in the evaluation of group activities.
* Contribute to the group debriefing session following the camp.
* Ensure that living and working spaces are safe for the purposes
of the SJYC.
* Foster, facilitate and maintain an environment of emotional
safety that encourages group living and exploration.
* Facilitate the participation of youth in daily workshops.
* Ensure that participants respect established community
standards, both during formal programming and during unstructured
* Remain attentive to varied participant responses to camp
experiences, and intervene as appropriate to ensure that the camp
responds to participants? needs and strengths.
* The facilitation team is made up of 6-8 facilitators.
Facilitators are expected to provide mutual support to colleagues
throughout the training, and camp.
* Interest in, and ability to apply, the Tatamagouche ASPIRE
Model of Education, Design and Leadership (or other similar model).
(Facilitators will receive training in this methodology prior to the
* Experience with group facilitation.
* Prior experience, or interest in, working with youth.
* Active interest and involvement in Social Justice, Social
Transformation and Environmental Issues.
* Facilitators must be available:
o To receive training during the Leading Innovative &
Engaging Summer Youth Program (Thursday May 26th, 7 pm ? Sunday May
29th 1 pm) in coordination with Heartwood Centre for Community Youth
Development and St. George?s Youthnet
o To participate in Camp planning and orientation session
(Saturday July 16 ? Sunday July 17)
o To facilitate the Social Justice Youth Camp (Wednesday
August 24th ? Sunday August 28th) plus facilitators must be available
for preparation and set-up Tuesday August 23rd.
* This is a volunteer opportunity. Your meals and accommodations
and the training and camp expenses will be covered. Efforts will be
made to provide facilitators with honorariums following the camp
dependent upon the success of fundraising initiatives.
Camp coordinators, facilitators and participants are drawn from a
diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and communities. A tenant
of the camp is to ensure we reflect the range of diversity in this
region in our program (including ethno-cultural heritage, gender
spectrum, sexual orientation, geographic location, linguistic
diversity, religious affiliation, economic strata, etc)
· Email your resume and a letter of interest to
sjyc2011 at gmail.com, with SJYC Facilitator Application as the subject
o Your connection and involvement with any community or social
o why you would like to participate in this experience;
o Your experience facilitating discussion;
o Your involvement with social justice issues in your community
o the skills and background you would be able to share with participants;
o What social justice or community issues are important to you, and
how to they affect you? How can you respond to these issues?
· Deadline for applications is April 21, 2011
· Interviews will be conducted the week of Apr 25th, 2011
· Successful candidates will be notified in the first week of May.
Membership & Communications Assistant
Atlantic Council for International Cooperation ~ Conseil atlantique
pour la coopération internationale
210-2099 Gottingen Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3K 3B2
Tel/Tél: (902) 431-2311 ~ Fax/Téléc: (902) 431-3216
Email/Courriel: admin at acic-caci.org Website: www.acic-caci.org
More information about the sust-mar