[Sust-mar] EAC Turns 40 on Earth Day

Amy Hawke info at ecologyaction.ca
Tue Apr 19 10:10:24 EDT 2011

For Release: Tuesday, April 19 2011

EAC Turns 40 on Earth Day

Nova Scotia's own Ecology Action Centre (EAC) is turning 40 in 2011.
Starting on Earth Day (April 22) and running to May 31, the EAC is
organizing 40 days of action in honour of this anniversary.  From local
food potlucks to a memorial to crosswalk fatalities to a zombie walk,
our events will be fun, engaging and demonstrate the many ways we can
all take steps to live more sustainable lives.

"We wanted to do something really big to celebrate forty years of
action," said Policy Director Mark Butler.  "We are organizing special
events around the big issues in Nova Scotia: food, energy, water, and
our coasts, climate change, environmental racism, forests, fisheries,
sprawl and sustainable transportation.  There's something for everyone."

The 40 Days of Action will kick off on Earth Day with an event
celebrating one of EAC's earliest victories.  A picnic and demonstration
at the monstrous Cogswell Interchange will recall the struggle to
prevent a four lane highway from obliterating downtown Halifax.  It will
also imagine a brighter future for this urban eyesore.

EAC grew out of a university course at Dalhousie in 1971.  Since then
the organization has grown into Nova Scotia's leading environmental
non-profit organization.  Since the beginning the staff and members of
EAC have committed themselves to making Nova Scotia the cleanest, more
sustainable province in Canada.

Expect a steady stream of daily releases from the EAC in the coming
month and a half.  If you're looking for an Earth Day story, we'll keep
you busy.  Earth Day is every day! For a full listing of events visit
www.ecologyaction.ca /40days

-30-

For more information:

Amy Hawke

Ecology Action Centre

902.429.2202

info at ecologyaction.ca <mailto:info at ecologyaction.ca>
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/40days <http://www.ecologyaction.ca/40days>

COGSWELL INTERCHANGE DEMO & PICNIC (PHOTO OP)
When:  Friday, April 22nd (EARTH DAY!), from 11:30am - 1:30pm

Where: Barrington Street Bus Stop, across from Scotia Square overlooking
the Cogswell Interchange

What: Free food and music plus a fun way to celebrate EAC's 40th
birthday and Earth Day all at once!

Become an EAC member <http://www.ecologyaction.ca/content/become-member>
| Join us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/EcologyActionCentre>  |
Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/ecologyaction>