[Sust-mar] Active Transportation Coordinator, f/t, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia
GoodWork Green Jobs
p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Feb 14 11:37:24 EST 2011
[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca]
Position: Active Transportation Coordinator
Organization: Ecology Action Centre http://www.ecologyaction.ca
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
The TRAX Project of the Ecology Action Centre is seeking a full-time active transportation coordinator for a three month contract, beginning March 1, 2011, with possibility of extension based on funding and performance. The coordinator's responsibility will be to support communities and municipalities across Nova Scotia in taking action on and achieving success in building a culture of active transportation. The coordinator will report to the Ecology Action Centre's Transportation Issues Committee.
Project Specific Responsibilities
1. Completing the development of an active transportation resource, Active Transportation Planning 101. This will involve overseeing the graphic design of the resource, disseminating the resource to the appropriate stakeholders throughout the province and evaluating its impact.
2. Developing and delivering training sessions, which introduce the resource to local active transportation champions, in six key regions throughout the province.
3. Attaining media coverage of active transportation in local newspapers and magazines with a focus on profiling local champions and successful initiatives.
* Sitting on committees and networking with groups around the province
* Managing project finances
* Liaising and maintaining good relations with project funders
* Developing funding proposals
* Responding to public and community inquiries and concerns
* Responding to media inquiries
* Maintaining project website
* Supporting TRAX volunteers and employees
* Participating in and supporting the overall work of the Ecology Action Centre
* In the long term, developing and implementing project and campaign strategies to support active transportation
Skills and Experience
* Strong interest in and knowledge of active transportation, including its environmental, social and economic benefits and the connection between community planning and active transportation
* Excellent project management skills: ability to work independently and as part of a team, manage projects and budgets, develop funding proposals, effectively manage multiple tasks and manage and use time efficiently
* Excellent communication skills: working with the media, public speaking, facilitation, relationship building, writing
* Computer literacy in MS Office, including Word, Excel, FrontPage
* Available some evenings and weekends and willing to travel within NS
* Familiarity with rural and urban Nova Scotia and the specific needs of rural and urban areas in relation to active transportation
* Experience working with NGOs and municipal governments
* Skills in the areas of research, evaluation and strategic thinking
* Persistent, diplomatic, creative, optimistic, with a team-oriented approach
* Masters in Urban or Transportation Planning, Environmental Studies, Health Promotion or equivalent work experience
Start: March 7, 2011
Wage: $22.50/hour; 30 hours/week
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Application: Cover letter, resume and three references. Please submit your application in the form of a pdf document with required elements in the following order: cover letter, resume, references.
Deadline: February 25, 2011. Applications will be considered upon receipt. Hiring may take place before February 25 should an appropriate candidate apply.
Attention Laena Garrison
trax at ecologyaction.ca
We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Interviews will take place the week of February 21, 2011.
The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, First Nations, and persons with disabilities.
TRAX has actively promoted sustainable transportation in Nova Scotia since 1999.The Ecology Action Centre was founded in 1971 and is one of Nova Scotia's most active environmental organizations. The Centre welcomes new members and volunteers: http://www.ecologyaction.ca .
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.
GOODWORK GREEN JOBS
GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.
SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca
or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html
This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.
Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001
Listing ID: 13476
More information about the sust-mar