[Sust-mar] CSA Apprentice, f/t, Coldstream, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Mar 21 15:53:37 EDT 2011

[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca]

APPRENTICE / INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Position: Apprentice on local, environmentally sustainable CSA

Type: full-time apprentice/internship with accom., dinners, stipend (details below)

Employer: LocalMotive Farm http://www.localmotivefarm.com

Location: Coldstream, Nova Scotia

Localmotive Farm is seeking a farm apprentice for the 2011 growing season (ideally, from May-October).

Localmotive Farm consists of 45 acres, including forest, pastures, and vegetable gardens. We produce a wide variety of vegetables for sale through our 50 member CSA. We have taken a break from farmer's market sales, but we do a bit of wholesaling. The farm is located between the towns of Stewiacke and Shubenacadie, about half way between Truro and Halifax. We are not too far from the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park and Dollar Lake. Our location is very private, situated at the end of a road, on top of a hill overlooking the surrounding countryside.

We are a young couple with two young children. Jody has a B.Sc. in Agriculture (Plant Science) with a specialization in Organic Agriculture. Keith works as a musician (http://www.keithmullins.ca). We offer experience in all aspects of CSA garden management, as well as knowledge in food preservation, chicken care, composting, minor construction and music. We believe in living "the good life"; that is to say, we work hard and make sacrifices so that we can do what we love and live within our dreams. Jody grew up on a farm but we have been operating Localmotive Farm for about 5 years. Things are coming together but the ideas and projects are endless, and we could use a little help and input!

Apprentices will have separate accommodations, in either a camper, or a bunkhouse. No dogs please, but there is barn space if you have a horse or other animal. We will eat breakfast and lunch separately, but dinner will be prepared and eaten together. We are omnivores but our diet is vegetarian friendly. We offer a stipend to those committing to a minimum of 4 months. Please inquire for details.

Please check out our website at http://www.localmotivefarm.com

Email us with further inquiries: localmotivefarm at gmail.com

We look forward to hearing from you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sustainable Food Jobs, Internships & Volunteering

GoodWork Canada http://goodworkcanada.ca/gw.php?theme=food

SOIL (Canada) http://www.soilapprenticeships.org/

CRAFT (Ontario) http://www.craftontario.ca/

ACORN (Atlantic Canada) http://www.acornorganic.org/training.html

WWOOF Nova Scotia http://wwoof.ca/hosts/listing?term_node_tid_depth=8

What is CSA / Community Shared Agriculture?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-supported_agriculture

Google: http://google.ca/search?q=community+shared+agriculture

http://google.ca/search?q=community+supported+agriculture

News: http://news.google.ca/news?q=community+shared+agriculture+CSA

CSA's in Canada: http://planetfriendly.net/organic.html#csa

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com