[Sust-mar] Financial Administrator, JCP/EI, Sierra Club Atlantic, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue May 31 14:25:13 EDT 2011

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Financial Administrator

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

The Sierra Club Canada - Atlantic Canada Chapter is a non-profit environmental organization based out of Halifax, NS. Sierra Club Canada is a member-based organization that empowers people to protect, restore, and enjoy a healthy and safe planet.

Our focus is on five overriding threats: loss of animal and plant species; deterioration of the planet's oceans and atmosphere; the ever-growing presence of toxic chemicals in all living things; destruction of our remaining wilderness; and spiraling population growth and over consumption.

Since our official designation as a Chapter in 2001, the Atlantic Canada Chapter grown from volunteer director position to a staff of between 8 -- 10 coordinators and interns. We also work closely with over 50 active volunteers throughout the Atlantic region, who play key roles in governance, communications & outreach (developing the Chapter newsletter etc.), and increasing environmental awareness.

We are currently seeking a financial administrator to develop administrative procedures for our growing staff, volunteer and membership base. The position would be based in Halifax, Nova Scotia and would require administering projects with staff and volunteers based in each of the four Atlantic Provinces.

We have a high-energy and collaborative office environment seeking a trustworthy and enthusiastic individual to join us as our financial administrator.

The candidate will work closely with our Chapter Director and Treasurer to maintain up-to-date and accurate financial records for Chapter finances, in line with Canadian accounting rules. The candidate will be asked to assist in annual audit of Chapter finances by gathering documents requested by Sierra Club Canada's National Treasurer and/ or Executive Director. He or she will also be asked develop key administrative systems essential to operating our office, such as filing financial documents, assisting with financial reports & budgets, procuring office supplies. The candidate will work with project staff in developing budgets and creating budget projections.

This position is a Job Creation Partnership to be eligable you must be an individual for whom:

- an unemployment benefit period has been established or has ended within the three years prior to the date of requesting assistance; or

- a benefit period that included a maternity or parental claim has been established within the five years prior to the date of requesting assistance, after which you remained out of the labour market in order to care for a newborn or newly adopted child and are now seeking to re-enter the labour force.

For more information on the JCP program check out their website here

http://www.gov.ns.ca/employmentnovascotia/programs/job-creation-partnerships.asp

Requirements/Qualifications:

• Familiarity with Canadian standards in financial bookkeeping and accounting principles

• Proficiency in Simply Accounting software would be an asset

• Familiarity with working with project budgets

• Ability to assist staff in compiling financial reports to funders

• Willingness to oversee volunteers performing administrative tasks

• Familiarity with strategic planning an asset

• Good phone manner

• Excellent organizational skills

Duties:

• Enter financial transactions in Simply Accounting on an ongoing basis

• Under direction of Chapter Director and Treasurer, ensure prompt payment of expenses

• Upon request of Chapter director, perform research to reduce administrative costs (e.g. pricing for teleconference services, supplies, etc.)

• Ensure financial records and contracts are filed correctly

• Provide documentation required for annual financial audit, as required

• Work closely with Chapter Director to provide financial reports and budgets, as required

• Work closely with Chapter staff to assist in budgeting and financial reporting for funded projects

• Perform needs assessments and action plans for improved internal and membership communications

• Perform simple banking tasks (e.g. making deposits, etc)

• Participate in staff meetings and annual general meeting of the Chapter

To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume including contact information for 3 references to the attention of Gretchen Fitzgerald, no later than June 17, 2011 at 4:30 AST

Contact Name: Gretchen Fitzgerald

E-mail: gretchenf (at) sierraclub.ca

Mail/In Person:

1657 Barrington St.

Roy Building Suite 533

Halifax, NS B3J 2A1

By Fax: (902) 444 3116

For questions, please contact Gretchen Fitzgerald:

gretchenf (at) sierraclub.ca or 902 444 3113.

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com