[Sust-mar] Scenario Planning Workshop - offered by Transition Bay St Margarets

David Wimberly davidwimberly at eastlink.ca
Mon Aug 27 11:40:12 EDT 2012

Hi Sust-mar,
Please post this notice below at your earliest opportunity.  The scope
of this is regional, it pertains to the entire Maritimes. I know you
will eliminate our logo and the graphic.
Could you perhaps acknowledge this and that the announcement will be
posted soon, please.
Thanks much, David Wimberly

*/
    Building Community Resilience to Global Challenges
/*transitionbay.ca <http://transitionbay.ca>
*__*

**

*SCENARIO PLANNINGWORKSHOP*

*September 15, Saturday, 9-5*

*St. Luke’s United Church Lower Hall, Tantallon*
We suggest: Reserve this Sept. 15 date and register in advance now.

*Scenario Planning Workshop: */Transition Bay St Margarets/ is hosting a
one-day workshop that explores how rural communities can better prepare
for a future that is impossible to predict. Guided by Scenario Planning
expert Marty Janowitz, participants will creatively identify the most
important unknowns, the key driving forces and then develop scenarios
(stories of the potential future) based on plausible, but challenging
variations among them. Scenarios have proven invaluable to communities,
businesses and even countries to develop plans that promote resilience,
and to identify "early warning signals" if one or another scenario
starts to play out. This workshop is ideal for community-minded
individuals, municipal planners, community organizations and others
concerned about the rapid change that seems a permanent fixture in our
future.

To register contact David Wimberly <davidwimberly at eastlink.ca>
<mailto:davidwimberly at eastlink.ca>902-826-7846 *//*www.transitionbay.ca
<http://transitionbay.ca> *__*

Please set aside this day and be certain you and your organizations are
represented here.

Oh, and we do plan to keep this engaging and fun too!

More details:

*Invitation*

*What might the future hold for rural Nova Scotian communities?*

/A one-day workshop using Scenario Planning/

It seems that every day raises new questions about our future. National
economies seem to be teetering. The climate is also worrisome -- heat
waves, fires, melting icecaps, and a host of other extreme weather
events. The price and availability of energy is another big question.
The rise of democracy movements, stunning technological advances,
plummeting birth rates, and an exponentially growing free flow of
information. But what do those forces on the global level mean to us in
rural Nova Scotia?

In the face of such uncertainty, there are any number of natural
reactions. We may assume that some greater power -- Government, "the
Market"or technology-- will take care of any troubles. Or we may hope
that any big emergencies won't happen in our lifetime. Or we may think
that our community is out of harm's way. We may feel hopeless or
resigned. Or on the other hand, we may take these risks personally,
feeling energized to prepare and even create a better future here at
home and beyond.

There is a methodical and proven way for groups -- businesses,
governments, countries or communities -- to explore and assess the mass
of future uncertainties, consider the forces that are most likely to
affect our future, and develop strategies and plans that are resilient
in the face of those uncertainties. That method is known as Scenario
Planning, a method that challenges us to think creatively, selecting and
developing some of the ‘stories’ that could be in our future. Scenario
Planning will assist us to create three to five challenging scenarios
that reflect the potential interaction of key forces to stretch and
focus our thinking. We invite you to join in the discussion about the
potential risks we face, and the possible actions we may undertake as a
community, as community organizations, or as individuals to strengthen
our resilience. No one knows for sure what the future holds, but
Scenario Planning can help us lay out sign posts for where we are
heading and prepare for and influence the outcome.

*What you will get out of this one-day workshop: *You will get a better
sense of the forces and risks we face as a community. You will
creatively identify potential futures and resilient strategies that
address multiple possibilities. You will gain insight for your
organization's future planning, and commitment to community. You will
make connections with other members of the community that may become
allies or partners in future community initiatives. On top of all that,
scenario planning is enjoyable!

*Who this workshop is for: *Anyone who senses the risks are real, and
that head-in-the-sand approaches are ill-advised. Anyone who works with
a community organization that is dedicated to the well-being of
neighbours and other members of the community.  Anyone who doubts that
government will save us in the end.

*The particulars: *This workshop will be held at St. Luke's Church, Head
of St. Margarets, on Saturday 15 September, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Lunch
is included onsite. Requested contribution is $50, $15 for peopleunder
30. We are dedicated to making this workshop as accessible as possible,
so scholarships are also available upon request
(davidwimberly at eastlink.ca <mailto:davidwimberly at eastlink.ca>).
902-826-7846 *//*www.transitionbay.ca <http://transitionbay.ca>

*The facilitator: *Marty Janowitz is Vice President for Sustainable
Development for Stantec, a multi-discipline planning, design and
engineering consultancy. Marty is well known in Nova Scotia for his work
on sustainable communities, businesses and organizations. He has been
trained in scenario planning techniques and has designed and facilitated
a number of Provincial Scenario Planning initiatives – on community
climate change adaptation, our sustainable energy future and our
seniors’ strategies. He is chair of both the Nova Scotia Round Table on
Environment and Sustainable Prosperity and the Authentic Leadership in
Action (ALIA) Institute.

Registration now open.