[Sust-mar] Vigil for Victims of War & Weapons - Protest the Arms Show on Sept. 6

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Wed Aug 29 17:01:39 EDT 2012

Hello Sust-Mar Friends,

I hope everyone has had and is having a wonderful, warm summer.

Please join us next week!

**********

Vigil for Victims of War & Weapons - Protest the Arms Show Thursday,
September 6, 2012 4:00pm until 6:00pm Cunard Centre, 961 Marginal Road,
Halifax (behind the Westin Hotel)

The vigil takes place during the Canadian Defence Security and Aerospace
Exhibition Atlantic (DefSec 2012) where the biggest weapons dealers and
military aircraft manufacturers in the world, such as Lockheed Martin,
Raytheon, and General Dynamics, will be exhibiting their war-fighting
systems. At the Cunard Centre on Thursday, September 6 at 4pm, these weapons
manufacturers will be celebrating their "Hour of Good Cheer":
http://www.defsecatlantic.ca/ We will send them a message that the death &
destruction caused by their weapons systems is nothing to be cheering about.
We will also be protesting the federal government's planned spending of
Canadian tax dollars on warships and the F-35s.

Note: This year, the weapons manufacturers are partnering with video game
companies such as HB studios and Huminah Interactive to discuss war game
simulations. Please join us to send them a message that war is not a game.
The weapons production must stop, we need a peace economy, and that war is
not part of a sustainable future. Please join us!

Become a Friend of the "Halifax Peace Coalition" on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/2306217425/events/

**********

Note: the Halifax Peace Coalition plans for the fall includes a talk with
Scott Taylor, Esprit de Corps journalist in September; screening of the film
"Pax Americana" in October; public lecture by William Hartung author of the
book "Prophets of War: Lockheed Martin & the Making of the
Military-Industrial Complex" in October; Yves Engler author of the "The Ugly
Canadian" and Justin Podhur author of "Haiti's New Dictators" in November;
protest of the Halifax International Security Forum in November too...

FYI: From the Chronicle Herald "Where have all the peaceniks gone?":
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/129184-where-have-all-the-peaceniks-gone

Hope to see you soon!

In solidarity for peace, earth & justice,

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
ECJ: http://www.ecojustice.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary
spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility
to poverty, racism, and militarism." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1967

"Without a doubt, military spending represents the single most significant
perversion of worldwide priorities known today." Former President of Costa
Rica and Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Oscar Arias, 1999