[Sust-mar] Northwoods Survival Apprenticeship, vol., New Brunswick

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Feb 1 15:25:36 EST 2012

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Position: Northwoods Survival 2012 Apprenticeships (2 positions) http://www.northwoodssurvival.com/2012-apprenticeship/
Type: full-time, unpaid apprenticeship with tenting/yurting (see site for details)
Location: Knowlesville, New Brunswick

NWS is now accepting applications.

Northwoods Survival is located in Knowlesville, New Brunswick. We are a small family owned outdoor pursuits school and guide service. We are offering two apprenticeship opportunities for 2012; one for a summer apprentice and one for a winter apprentice.

An NWS Apprenticeship is a wonderful opportunity to experience a remote rural lifestyle with a family who is experienced in simple self-reliance and eager to teach those who are willing to learn. The experience is hard-work when duty calls and relaxing when tasks are complete. While our main focus is on dog mushing you will also learn wilderness and primitive living skills, bushcraft, growing food organically, food preservation, cold storage, hunting, fishing, traditional crafts, sled dog care and maintenance, and possibly more.

The Programme

Our activities vary with the seasons, the dogs are part of life everyday here at NWS. We have broken down our year into two programmes; it is possible for an apprentice to remain with us for the entire year if we agree that NWS is a good fit for you. Here is a brief description of what the programmes might look like:

(1) Summer 2012

The NWS summer programme runs from May to October. The timeline and activities are largely dictated by the weather as this is our growing season. We will be preparing the gardens for planting by turning the soil, picking rocks and adding compost. We will be planting trees and perennial fruit bearing plants, transplanting perennial flowers and prepping the flower beds. Bear hunting season is during the early summer and you can choose to take part in the hunt. We will be trout fishing as well; if you would like to take part in this activity then you will need a New Brunswick fishing license. Then as the season progresses we will be weeding, mulching and harvesting in the gardens, building compost piles, solar food dehydration, berry-picking and preserving, collecting and drying herbs, hide tanning, wool processing, and building projects. We will be working with the sled dogs daily, when the weather is cool enough they will be exercised in harness with the four-wheeler; as the t
 emperatures become warmer we will be free running the dogs to the river for a swim. The dog yard will need daily attention: feeding, watering and picking up poop (yup, I said poop!) and of course the puppies will need a lot of attention. As the programme progresses so will the needs of the garden and produce, harvesting, preserving and storage will continue until finally the gardens are put to rest and the garlic is planted.

(2) Winter 2012

The NWS winter programme runs from October to March. The entire focus is dogs, dogs, dogs and other snow type activities. The fall will begin with conditioning and training the dogs on short runs with the four-wheeler gradually building up the distance until we are on sleds in the snow. Deer, bear, partridge and rabbit hunting seasons happen during this time of year and you can choose to be part of the hunt. Dog sled trails need to be maintained, we groom our trails with a snowmachine after every snow fall. Of course there is snow shoveling required onsite. There will be time for snowshoeing and skiiing, connecting with the natural beauty of winter, winter survival, bushcraft and crafting. Winter apprentices can expect to spend a lot of time on the runners of a dog sled. (and picking up dog poop; yup I said it again -- Poop!) We guide sled dog trips and teach survival courses during the winter months you will be an essential part of our NWS adventures.

For more detailed information (AKA: the fine print) and instructions on how to apply please visit our website: http://www.northwoodssurvival.com or email Shannon: info at northwoodssurvival.com

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS
http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca
or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com