[Sust-mar] The State of Our Unions: panel event and public discussion hosted by the Halifax Media Co-op

Moira Peters moira.peters at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:31:54 EST 2012

*What*: The State of Our Unions: panel event and public discussion
*When: *Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:30-9pm
*Where: *Just Us! Cafe Spring Garden*, *5896 Spring Garden Road
*Cost: *free, open to the public
*More info*: hmc at mediacoop.ca

"As long as rostering stays on the table, we'd be looking at the longest
transit strike in Halifax's history...The public are the people behind
metro transit, all they have to do is call their councillors, call their
mayor, and say get us back to work, get back to the table."
*--Ken Wilson, President, ATU Local 508*

The HMC is organizing *"The State of Our Unions: Tales from the trenches of
labour in Nova Scotia,"* <http://halifax.mediacoop.ca/events/9883> a free
panel event and public discussion next *Wednesday, February 22, 6:30-9pm at
Just Us! Café, 5896 Spring Garden Road in Halifax*. Check out the
panelists:

   - From Sydney: Suzanne MacNeil, Recording Secretary, Cape Breton
   District Labour Council, and member of the Canadian Freelancers Union,
   speaking on young workers in the labour movement
   - From Halifax: Ken Wilson, President, ATU Local 508 speaking on the
   Amalgamated Transit Union
   - From Port Hawkesbury: Archie MacLachlan, 1st Vice President, and Steve
   MacDougall, Recording Secretary, Communications, Energy and Paperworkers
   Local 972, speaking about the current situation for NewPage pulp mill
   workers
   - From Halifax: Donna Mendes, 1st Vice President Canadian Union of
   Postal Workers Nova Local speaking on the current situation for Halifax
   postal workers
   - From Halifax: Silver Donald Cameron, Treasurer, Writer's Union, and
   member of the Canadian Freelancers Union, speaking on the Halifax Herald
   freelance dispute, and the wide-ranging corporate attempt to appropriate
   intellectual property rights from creators

--
http://www.dominionpaper.ca/
http://www.halifax.mediacoop.ca/

moira at mediacoop.ca