[Sust-mar] WRWEO (Bluff Trail) AGM March 6, 2012

Paul Berry jpaulberry at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 19 17:05:33 EST 2012

On Tuesday March 6th, 2012 the Wooden's River Watershed Environmental
Organization will hold its AGM & Bob Bancroft will speak on
Interacting with Wildlife in Protected Areas

Our AGM will be held on Tuesday evening, March 6, from 7 pm to 9 pm at
the Tantallon Public Library. Registration begins at 6:30 p.m. and
volunteers will be on hand to register new members or renew
memberships of existing members. The annual membership fee is $10.
Membership is NOT required to attend this meeting, however; all are
welcome and we will make the formal business as painless as possible!

We expect that business to take about 40 minutes. It will include
summaries of our activities over the past year related to:
(i) Protection of the Five Bridge Lakes Wilderness Area (FBLWA).
(ii) The Bluff Wilderness Hiking Trail
(iii) Aquatic habitat & water quality in the Woodens River Watershed

There will be an election of board members for 2012

Then, we will be treated to a talk by keynote speaker Bob Bancroft on
Interacting with Wildlife in Protected Areas.

WRWEO built and maintains The Bluff Wilderness Hiking Trail which goes
deep into the newly protected Five Bridge Lakes Wilderness Area
(FBLWA). How do we best protect the endangered mainland moose and
other wildlife in the FBLWA and cope with our anxieties about coyotes?
Bob's talk will help us to answer these important questions

About Bob Bancroft
Perhaps no one else could speak as knowledgably about wildlife in Nova
Scotia as Bob Bancroft. He will be well known to many as a guest on
wildlife phone-in shows on CBC Maritime Noon. Bob has been described
as "a biologist [who] talks and writes about better ways to care for
the land and creatures on it… [Bob's] quiet work and balanced approach
to land use rings a responsive chord in many Nova Scotians." He has
written for magazines and journals such as Atlantic Salmon Journal,
Eastern Woods and Waters, and Saltscapes. Bob obtained a BSc and an
MSc from Acadia, running a successful business (Mud Creek Motorcycles)
on the side. He joined the N.S. Dept. of Natural resources in 1973,
working as a fish and wildlife biologist and with a special interest
in riparian zones. He left government in 1999 to become a forestry,
wildlife and woodlot consultant. Bob maintains a small woodlot and was
named Woodlot Owner of the Year in 2007. He called for major
reductions in clearcutting when he was consulted as part of the
province's natural resources strategy. Over the years, Bob has held
offices in numerous volunteer and professional bodies concerned with
environment and wildlife. Amongst them currently, he is President of
Nature Nova Scotia (Federation of Nova Scotia Naturalists).