[Sust-mar] Upcoming Young Naturalists Club events for January

Young Naturalists Club yncns at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 11 13:25:15 EST 2012

>January Young Naturalists Club events
>

>Please find information on the upcoming January events forYoung Naturalists Clubs around the Province.  These events areFREE for all youth and their families!  For more information on the YNC of Nova Scotia visit our website athttp://nature1st.net/ync or contact Robin at yncns at yahoo.ca
>

>Annapolis Valley YNC:
>Saturday 21st, 6:30pm–8:00pm. Join Larry Bogan from the Minas Astronomy Group as he gives a presentation about Enjoying the Night Sky and Amateur Astronomy. Larry will talk about what there is to see in this part     of the sky
and  how to find them on your own using eyes and     binoculars.  If the weather is clear we will go outside and look for the major
constellations and bright stars.  Telescope(s)     will be set up to get magnified and brighter views of some of the     deep sky objects and
planets (Jupiter and Venus will be available). If it is cloudy we will
look at printed star charts of the winter sky.(KC Irving Centre).For more information contact Alisa at nguyenalisa1 at gmail.com

>Halifax YNC:
>Saturday 21st, 10:30-11:30. A presentation about Tuna & Swordfish – Awesome Fish Hunters!Presented by Dalhousie Marine Biology Professor Dr Boris Worm at the Museum of Natural History
>Sunday 29th at 3:00 pm. FIELD TRIP: Guided tour of the Bedford Institute of Oceanography to learn
about deep sea corals, as well as the Sea Pavilion touch and
demonstration tanks. Touch starfish, crabs, sea cucumbers, lobsters and
more! Andrew Cogswell, a
Biotechnologist in Ecosystem Research, will teach us about what he calls “all the cool stuff” – deep-sea corals and sponges. We’ll get hands on
with some samples and then tour BIO’s labs and the wet lab. We many even meet a parataxonomist who can answer your questions about the organisms. This field trip will complement our
December presentation about whales and dolphins and our January
presentation about tuna and swordfish! For more information contact Laura at lambieljstaff at ednet.ns.ca

>Pictou YNC
>Saturday 14th, 9:00-12:00 - Tracking animals in the woods. Our presenter will be Noel Nicholas from the Pictou Landing First Nations Reserve. Noel will provide us with details of his childhood/adult experiences on the reserve eg:  Tracking, hunting, and trapping  with his father as a young boy and
adult. We will also provide a brief  slide show and hand outs of some
local animal tracks, animal scat,  trees, and plants native to the area. We will then follow our presenter to the  Pictou Landing First Nations
Reserve and meet at the local convenience  store/gas bar. We will then
gather and walk a short distance to a path  that will take us into the
woods. The children will look for animal  tracks, animal scat, and trees that were discussed at the presentation.  Our destination will be a
beautiful beaver dam at the water’s edge of  Boat Harbour. For more information contact Tabitha at tabbycats at ns.sympatico.ca or Bonnie at bugsy.27 at hotmail.com

>South Shore YNC:
>Saturday 14th, 10:30-12:00. TheProject WET team is bringing their fun activities to the YNC to get us thinking about
water – its importance and how we need to work together to protect it.
Activities are based on the Project WET Curriculum Guide, an
international program which provides educators with hands-on,
interactive, activities for learning about water in a variety of
settings. They also have groundwater and watershed models, which show
how  water moves above and below the surface of the Earth. (Fisheries
Museum of Atlantic).
>Sunday 22nd at 1:00 pm.FIELD TRIP:We will be snowshoeing at the MARC in Bridgewater!  We will snowshoe through the trails and
looking for animal tracks and signs of wildlife in the winter
landscape.  All are welcome but if you need snowshoes you must
pre-register for this event as we have limited numbers of snowshoes
available. If you have your own bring them along!!!  Contact Pampamjwm at gmail.comfore more information