[Sust-mar] Young Naturalists Club - FREE September Events

Young Naturalists Club yncns at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 7 10:07:41 EDT 2012

Please find a list of FREESEPTEMBER events for Young Naturalists Club Chapters around the Province!

If
 you are interested in leading a YNC presentation or field trip in any
of these locations or are interested in starting a YNC in your
community, please feel free to contact Robin at yncns at yahoo.ca.

ANNAPOLIS VALLEY YNC
Medicinal and Edible Plants
Saturday September 22nd: 10:00am-11:30am
Plants offer us so much beyond just
their beauty. Join Amanda Dainow for a plant walk around the Harriet Irving Botanical Gardens
where she will discuss the medicinal and edible uses of the plants. She
will help us make some herbal lemonade to drink and we will play some games exploring the connection between plants and the ecosystem For more
information contact the AV YNC Volunteer Leader, Deann MacLean

HALIFAX YNC
Presentation: Trees, shrubs and berries!
Saturday September 15th:10:30-11:30am
Do you love picking berries in the
wild? Karen Harper, Plant Community Ecologist is going to give us a presentation on trees, shrubs and
berries. We will learn some interesting facts about how trees and shrubs form the structure of the forest and provide habitat for animals. We
will also find out how to identify berries that we can pick around
Halifax . There may even be some to eat! For more information contact Robin at yncns at yahoo.ca

Field Trip: Urban Nature Walk
Sunday September 23rd: 1:00pm–3:00pm
Jeremy Lundholm, Plant ecologist will take us on a hike through the city
and look for plant diversity and different types of habitats found in
the south end (including remnant forest, wetland, street trees etc.).
We will look for edible plants and other interesting species, and talk
about the threats to urban biodiversity. We will visit Jeremy’s front
yard which has over 100 native plant species and is a great example of
“planned” urban biodiversity, contrasting this with the spontaneous
habitats we see along the way.  If we are lucky, there should be
blackberries to eat at certain points.  We will meet at the very end of
Robie St. at SMU/The Oaks.Please contact Robin at yncns at yahoo.ca to register for this field trip

PICTOU YNC
BEES!
Saturday September 22nd: 1:00-3:00pm
Our first YNC event for the fall will be on Bees and held September 15th at 1:00pm, at Benn View Bees.  Owners Gary and Colette Baudoux will be
on hand to share their knowledge and love of bees. They have been
harvesting honey for many years and usually harvest approximately ½
tonne per year. We will be:Learning the importance of Domestic Honey Bee;Tour of the Honey Room;Experience honey extraction;Up close experience with the bees (Weather Permitting);Maybe even a taste of honey! For more information contact Tabitha at tabbycats at ns.sympatico.ca or Bonnie at bugsy.27 at hotmail.com

SOUTH SHORE YNC
Nature Hike at Indian Point Commons – The World of Mosses
Saturday September 8th: 1:00–3:00pm
Bryologist, Anne Mills, will join us
for our first meeting this year as we explore the world of mosses.  Anne will teach us to recognize different mosses so we can learn to identify them more easily. On the trail we will see what habitats mosses grow
in, look through our magnifiers at them, and we will even be able to
collect some along the way!  **We will meet at the IPC trail head at 1:00pm** Contact Pam for directions and more information at 530-5182 or ssyoungnaturalistclub at gmail.com.

WITTENBURG YNC
Nature Photography
Saturday, September 22nd: 1:00-3:00pm
Bring your camera!  Murdo Messer is going to
talk to us about the basics of photography and about nature photography
in particular. We will then get a chance to go outside and take some
pictures. At the end we will all gather again and review some of the
shots we took. Please contact Wendy for more information about this
event.For more information contact Wendy at 639-2808

Ms. Robin Musselman
Coordinator, Young Naturalists Club of Nova Scotia
(902-455-5643)
c/o The Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History
1747 Summer Street. Halifax NS B3H 3A6
http://nature1st.net/ync

YNC motto "Young Naturalists Observe and Conserve"