[Sust-mar] Introducing our backyard rainforest

Barbara Markovits markovits at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 1 08:33:50 EDT 2013

INTRODUCING OUR BACKYARD RAIN FOREST

 Wednesday, June 12 at 7 pm.
Musquodoboit Lions Centre,
43 E. Petpeswick Road, Musquodoboit Harbour

Did you know that the islands along the Eastern Shore make up a coastal boreal rain forest? The NS Nature Trust does. In the summers of 2011 and 2012 the Trust carried out scientific studies to build an ecological profile of the landscapes that lie off the Eastern Shore. It turns out that our group of over 100 islands is home to some of the last untouched boreal forest in Nova Scotia, having grown as many as 130 successive generations of boreal forest since the last Ice Age!

Research shows that these island woodlands, though not strictly ‘old growth’, are old process systems that provide a continuity of habitat to an old and rich community -- decay fungi, beetles and small mammals. They are globally significant ‘benchmark’ forests that can inform conservation and forest management about nutrient supply, decomposition, microbial dynamics, forest soil diversity and climate change.

 Peter Green, Coastal Coordinator with the Nova Scotia Nature Trust will set out the Trust’s research findings, and discuss options to protect these islands through a community-based land trust approach. Peter will illustrate his talk with lots of fascinating slides, and we expect a lively discussion.

This presentation is hosted by Eastern Shore Forest Watch, with more information available at www.forestwatch.ca, info at forestwatch.ca and 460.8943. The event is free and all are welcome. Come and get a glimpse of our unique Eastern Shore Islands Wilderness – it will change how you look at our islands.