[Sust-mar] September at Falls Brook Centre

Falls Brook Centre fallsbrook at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 20:37:16 EDT 2013

Read all about the Knowlesville Country Fair, Wild Mushroom Workshop and Herbs and Medicine Workshop
Knowlesville Country Fair
This Weekend
Saturday 10am - 5pm and Sunday noon - 5pm.
This year’s Fair will be out on the hay field on Simms Road, South Knowlesville and will feature :
* Old fashion fun & games
* Keep posted on updates at www.knowlesvillenature.ca
* Entries needed for Best pie contest, Biggest zucchini etc..
* Unique farm animals to visit and old farm equipment on display
* Artisans, blacksmith, spinners and more
* Corn boil, sausages, samosas and wood-fired pizza
* Hayrides and Magic Show
* Cross-cutting and fire starting competitions
* Solar powered stage with local musicians of all ages
* Rural skills and craft demonstration
* Saturday Country Dance
* Sunday Basket Auction

** Wild Mushroom Workshop
Sunday, Sept. 22
1-5pm
Learn about wild mushrooms: identification tips, which ones make good edibles, which ones do not and which ones are poisonous. The workshop will be led by Nelson Poirier who will also discuss culinary tips where applicable.

A visit on Falls Brook Centre trails to sleuth out specimens also be included. Please dress for the weather.

Participants are asked to start gathering specimens up to a week in advance to bring to set up “show and tell tables” where specimens can be identified and discussed. Try to gather fresh specimens were possible, place them in brown paper bags, and refrigerate with a large felt marker label “Do Not Eat”. Do not store in plastic bags.

The collections participants bring in will be an important part of the event as we will get to see a much greater variety of specimens this way than an outing to just one habitat.
Register with marieka at fallsbrookcentre.ca

** Herbs and Medicine
Saturday, Sept. 28
1-5pm
Walk, talk and collect currently available herbal plants in our region. Learn how to preserve and use the plants collected during the walk to create healthy and tasty tonics to reduce stress, boost energy and immunity.

Workshop attendees will meet at Falls Brook Centre at 1pm.

Cecelia Brooks of Soulflower Herbals will be leading this workshop. Soulflower Herbals is a Wolastoqiyik family owned body care and wellness product group locally offering a variety of creations. Their focus is to use our resources in a sustainable and conscientious manner to preserve our cultural knowledge while sharing the beauty and wisdom of the plants around us.

Cost is $5/person or $10/family.

To register please call 375-4310 or email Marieka at fallsbrookcentre.ca
www.fallsbrookcentre.ca