[Sust-mar] Engagement Organizing Training for Atlantic Freshwater Leaders

Jocelyne Rankin Water at ecologyaction.ca
Tue Apr 15 10:21:40 EDT 2014

[http://action.freshwateralliance.ca/page/-/images/freshwater_public_large.png]

**Save the Date**

Engagement Organizing Training for Atlantic Water Leaders

Monday, May 26th - Tuesday, May 27th, 2014

Tatamagouche Centre, Tatamagouche, NS

Hosted by the Canadian Freshwater Alliance<http://action.freshwateralliance.ca/page/m/68ee2551/73818ddb/39074583/67577a13/740968089/VEsH/>

in partnership with Ecology Action Centre<http://action.freshwateralliance.ca/page/m/68ee2551/73818ddb/39074583/67577a12/740968089/VEsE/> and MEC<http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp>

How can we tell water stories that inspire the public imagination? How can we use these stories to work toward an engaged and connected constituency that captures the attention required to protect water in the Atlantic Provinces?

The Canadian Freshwater Alliance is hosting a 2-day training on strategic communication and innovative public engagement for groups working on freshwater issues in the Atlantic Provinces. Participants will leave the training having made substantial progress on:

*         Defining and communicating their organizations (or programmatic) Theory of Change;

*         Grounding your outreach messages using an extensive body of public opinion research while using clear and compelling stories;

*         How to use data more effectively to supercharge your organisation's list-building, fundraising, and campaigning efforts; and

*         Integrating campaign strategies with local, in-person and personal relationships with supporters in a way that connects, inspires and gets results.

Details on application process and agenda to come. If you are worried about missing this important email, drop us a note and we'll be sure to get the information to you!

What

A two-day training and networking workshop on innovative communication and public engagement for groups working on freshwater issues in NB, NS, PEI and NL. The three themes of the workshop are: Theories of Change; Stories for Social Change; and Building and Engaging Your Base of Support.  This workshop is part of a national engagement organizing training series taking place across the country.

Why

To strengthen grassroots initiatives for water protection across the Atlantic Provinces by offering capacity training for communications and public engagement, and by providing opportunities to create new networks, collaborations and coalitions.

Who

Diverse groups, organizations, and clubs from across the region that are working on freshwater issues and that are seeking a deeper level of engagement and collaboration on freshwater protection in the Atlantic Provinces. A maximum of 15 organizations will be accepted with teams of up to 3 participants / organization.  We welcome applications from Mi'kmaq and other Indigenous participants.

Where

Tatamagouche Centre, Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

When

Nova Scotia - Agenda will commence at 8:30am on Monday morning.  Some accommodations are available on the Sunday night for those who need.

Cost

$100 per person for official Partners of the Alliance<http://action.freshwateralliance.ca/page/m/68ee2551/73818ddb/39074583/67577a15/740968089/VEsF/> (dues paying partners) / $150 per person for non-partners.

This covers up to 2-nights accommodation (Sunday - Monday nights).

Dinner on Sunday night, all meals on Monday and breakfast and lunch on Tuesday.

Travel subsidies will be available for some participants.

We look forward to having you join us for this exciting workshop!

Sincerely,

Lindsay and Jocelyne

For more info, contact:

Jocelyne Rankin, Water Coordinator, Ecology Action Centre

water at ecologyaction.ca<mailto:water at ecologyaction.ca>

902-442-5046