[Sust-mar] External Director, Dalhousie Student Union Sustainability Office, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Apr 14 11:51:46 EDT 2014

* Jobs in environment, conservation & nature: http://GoodWork.ca *

JOB OPPORTUNITY

Position: External Director
Website: http://dsuso.ca
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

The organization: The Dalhousie Student Union Sustainability Office is a student-run non-for-profit organization that aims to integrate sustainable practices into the daily student experience at Dalhousie University. We implement and facilitate initiatives that seek to institutionalize sustainability and contribute to creating a culture and awareness of sustainable practices within the Dalhousie community.

Employment date: August 1, 2014 (Flexible)

Location: Dalhousie University, Student Union Building, Halifax, NS

Qualifications:
• Be self-directed and have the ability to work independently
• Environmental studies/sustainability background is preferable but not necessary
• Have excellent teamwork skills and ability to work cooperatively with others
• Experience leading groups or organizing volunteers is an asset
• Be familiar with using online social media including Facebook, Twitter etc.
• Must be a Dalhousie student enrolled in 1 or more classes during the 2014/2015 school year

Job description:
• Responsible for university and community outreach (e.g. partnerships with the Ecology Action Centre, Office of Sustainability, Dalhousie Community Garden, other universities, etc.)
• Coordinating and recruiting volunteers and tabling for DSUSO (i.e. society fairs)
• Coordinate hiring for all DSUSO commissioner positions (e.g. Green Week, Green Gala, etc.)
• May take on new initiatives and/or issues-based campaigns or continue the development of on-going projects as they see fit, or as put forth by the board of directors
• This is a paid position (30 weeks @ $13/hour) starting August 1st, 2014 (flexible) and ending no later than April 30th, 2015

To apply:

Please send a cover letter stating your experience and qualifications and résumé to DSUSO at dal.ca. Please submit applications only as DOC/DOCX (Microsoft Word) or PDF documents (ideally in one document). We welcome the contributions that students from marginalized communities bring to our organization, and invites aboriginal people, people of colour, women, lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgendered people, trans-sexuals, intersexed people, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants, and people with disabilities to apply. Applications due by Tuesday April 22, 2014 at 4:00pm.