[Sust-mar] Organic Internship, accom., near Fredericton, New Brunswick

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Jan 24 09:18:20 EST 2014

[Local & organic food jobs http://FoodWork.ca/ ]

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Position: Organic Farm Internship
Type: full-time internship with accom., food, weekly stipend, more (see below)
Website: http://jemsegriver.blogspot.ca/
Location: Jemseg, New Brunswick

Jemseg River Farm is a dynamic production oriented certified organic 200 acre farm. We grow about ten acres of vegetables, herbs, potatoes, strawberries and raspberries and have some livestock. We are located on the banks of the Jemseg River and Dykeman Lake and are part of the unique Grand Lake ecosystem.  We have water on two sides of our farm, beautiful views and the area is renowned for its bird watching. Swimming, hiking, biking, fishing and boating opportunities are abundant and we maintain a small fleet of boats and bikes for recreation. The historic village of Gagetown is just across the river accessible by boat or a short drive and ferry. We are about 50 km away from the provincial capital of Fredericton and about one hour away from the provinces other two major cities. The famous Bay of Fundy is also just one hour away.

Our mission statement includes a strong educational component and we see ourselves as an incubator for future farmers.  The lead farmer is a former university educator (leadership studies program) and we focus on training in areas such as soils, crop planning, weed control, pest management, composting, harvesting practices, marketing, and sales. We have a great library that covers a wide range of topics. We strive to be a successful sustainable agriculture business model and to assist our interns in achieving their individual learning goals. This will be the fifth year we have offered internships and this experience has allowed us to make significant improvements in the program.

Our sales are mostly direct retail through our 85 member CSA weekly box program and Fredericton’s Boyce Farmers Market (rated as one of the best in the country), with some additional restaurant  and wholesale sales. We are known as the friendliest farmers at the market and strive to build and strengthen communities through our activities.

We normally have poultry and pigs during the growing season and will hopefully add cows in 2014. We will also begin planting a small orchard this year and are preparing land for asparagus and a vineyard.  We will also be developing our farm as time allows along permaculture principles with some projects scheduled for this year.

There are always multiple building projects in progress and the farmer is also a carpenter and cabinetmaker. We have a woodworking shop and are hoping to have a blacksmith forge set up soon. We maintain a small fleet of tractors and equipment and regularly maintain, build and repair our own equipment. We also have a fairly large composting operation.

Internship description.

Our commitment: to welcome you into our community, to provide educational opportunities and materials that help you attain your personal learning and growth goals as well as gaining practical skills in a diversity of areas. We will maintain a positive and safe work environment, and provide an opportunity to experience sustainable agriculture in practice.

Learning opportunities include greenhouse management, transplant production, crop planning, infrastructure development, tillage, cultivation, weed control, rotational livestock management, composting, and careful efficient harvesting for maximum crop quality and nutritional value. You will learn to enhance soil fertility through the use of composts, manure, and cover crops. Farm rotations and insect and disease control will be discussed and implemented. You will be exposed to the organic certification process, farm budgeting, and record keeping.

Intern duties include: greenhouse work, planting, transplanting, hoeing, weeding, pruning, mulching, harvesting, washing produce, packing, sales at farmers market, record-keeping, gathering hay, feeding and caring for livestock, setting up irrigation, helping with construction work, building and grounds maintenance, light forestry work, bush cutting, tree planting and more. The work is physically demanding at times and can be repetitive, but rarely are two days alike. You must be able to lift 40-50 lbs.  Work sometimes has to be done in inclement weather and sometimes we have some bugs.

Expectations: Interns  are expected to be engaged and motivated learners. We normally work approximately 40-45 hours a week depending on the farm needs. In addition to farm work interns  go to CSA dropoff (Tuesday) and farmers market on Saturdays on an alternating basis.  In order to be a viable farm and offer internships we need to be highly productive and efficient. This means working in a steady and organized manner.  We begin each day with a brief work meeting so showing up on time is essential so that we can all head off to do our various duties. We do weekly farm walks to talk about what is happening on the farm and go on some field trips to other farms.

Interns are expected to share with some cooking and kitchen cleanup duties and assist in keeping the grounds and living and work spaces safe, tidy and organized.  Interns will be working together, eating together and living in close proximity, so a cooperative and respectful spirit is required.

The Rewards: diverse learning opportunities, a healthy lifestyle, meaningful work and visible results, participation in a community engaged in positive change, beautiful sunrises, sunsets, fresh air, good food, and camaraderie.

Internships are considered to be a volunteer position, but we offer a stipend of $75 a week to help defer expenses.  We also offer a completion bonus ($25/week) to those who spend the whole season with us. Paid apprentice positions may be a possibility if the apprentice has significant farm experience. Accommodations are in shared cabins. Interns normally work 5 days a week, usually about 8-9 hours and alternate going to our Saturday market. We eat lots of good food from the farm or our other farmer friends.

The internships run from April 28 – October 31, 2014.

We usually have 4 interns per season. Non-smokers only. Responsible alcohol consumption is OK.

Please Contact Micheal by email jemsegfarmer at gmail.com for more info and an application form.

Applications for the 2014 season are due by March 1st.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Local & organic food jobs
http://FoodWork.ca/

Please indicate that you saw this posting at http://GoodWork.ca

Green Jobs, Environmental Jobs
http://GoodWork.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green, environmental job site. Since 2001 we've been connecting motivated, green-minded Canadians to environmental job opportunities. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find qualified candidates in any green/environmental field.

Facebook http://facebook.com/goodworkcanada
Twitter http://twitter.com/CanadaGreenJobs
Subscribe http://GoodWork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.