[Sust-mar] Documentary Film Series in Mabou

Anne Levesque levesque.anne at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 19:02:54 EDT 2015

 The Inverness Chapter of the Council of Canadians, in conjunction with
Cinema Politica, will be screening five outstanding films on Thursdays at
7:00 P.M. at the Renewal Centre in Mabou. The series will take us from
Alberta and a First Nations healing circle to India where women fight for
justice and equal rights, to San Francisco and the local food movement, and
to various parts of the globe where people confront climate change.  Each
film seeks to find a solution to some of our time's most pressing
problems.  A discussion will follow each screening, with guest speakers
when possible.
 Our first film,  Gently Whispering the Circle Back, is a powerful and
moving exploration of the journey of healing in people wounded by the
residential school system.  Special guests will be members of Waycobah
First Nation who will share with us what is being done in their community
to heal from these experiences. We invite you to join us for this evening
and the others to follow.

            April 30  :  Gently Whispering the Circle Back
 A powerful and moving exploration of the journey of healing in people
wounded by the residential school system.

  May 7: Hands-On: Women, Climate, Change
 This documentary profiles five women from four continents tackling climate
change through policy, protest, education and innovation.

 May 21: Gulabi Gang
This multi award winning film follows a group of fearless women who fight
gender violence in India with great ferocity.

   May 28:    Edible City and Crackdown
 Edible City is a fun, fast-paced documentary journey through the local
Good Food movement that is taking root in the San Francisco Bay area and
around the world.

  Crackdown: Where Chickens are outlawed, only Outlaws have chickens. A
short humorous doc telling the story of Canada's urban chicken keepers.

 June 4: Inuit Knowledge and Climate Change
 This unforgettable documentary takes us "on the land" with elders and
hunters to explore the social and ecological impacts of a warming Arctic.