[Sust-mar] Farm Apprentices, accom., St Andrews by the Sea, New Brunswick

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu Jan 15 18:18:41 EST 2015

* Work in local & sustainable food: http://FoodWork.ca *

APPRENTICE POSITION

Position: Farm Apprentices (2 positions)
Type: full-time apprenticeship with accom., food, stipend, more (see below)
Location: Bayside, New Brunswick

Come join three friends on our picturesque farm just outside the historic town of St. Andrews-by-the-Sea, NB. Venturing into our tenth year of farming we are growing on 2.5 acres of mixed vegetables for a 110 share CSA, the St. Andrews Farmer's market, and several local restaurants including The Rossmount Inn and Savour (Family owned businesses aimed at celebrating what can be done with the local bounty of this county). We have five greenhouses/tunnels, a tractor, and 100 acres of hayfields, forest, ponds, and sandy beach - it's only a five minute walk from hard work in the field to a cool dip in the ocean! George and Peggy, the resident horses, always welcome a friendly visit, especially if you are holding carrots or apples.

ABOUT THE APPRENTICESHIP

Over the last 6 years we have developed a strong curriculum for anyone interested in learning how to start and run a small vegetable operation. Each week on Friday afternoon we set aside 2-4 hours for a workshop on a single aspect of organic farming like crop planning, weeding, pests, finances, greenhouse management, etc. This allows the apprentice to delve deeply into a subject without the pressure of trying to finish a task. Apprentices are assigned weekly readings(occasionally) and homework (once or twice). We also aim to go on 4 or 5 field trips to visit other organic farmers and tour their farms.

Our goal is to have our apprentices leave the farm with a strong understanding in a wide variety of organic farming tasks, such as:
• crop planning and planting
• seedling care and direct seed planting
• tractor work and field prep: ploughing, discing, tilling
• greenhouse management (four seasons)
• CSA management
• weed control and pest management
• irrigation
• crop specific practices
• record keeping and finances
• organic certification
• harvesting and post-harvest handling for market and CSA
• teaching and leadership
• marketing options: CSA, Farmer's Market, Restaurants
• season extension
• how to start a farm

DETAILS:

Apprentice Requirements: We are looking for 2 apprentices who are self-motivated, take pride in their work, and are passionate about sustainable farming and living. Prior experience is a plus but is not necessary. We would like to host apprentices who can commit to staying for the whole season.

Accommodations are provided by the farm. We have 3 separate options at the farm for apprentices: one room in a 2-bedroom house, a fifth wheel(trailer), or an outbuilding with a room turned into a bedroom. The use of the 2-bedroom house is shared by apprentices and woofers for meals, internet and bathroom.

Stipend: Apprentices are given 125$/wk for food and living expenses.

Food: Apprentices are expected to pay for their own breakfasts, dinners and weekend lunches using their stipend. Vegetarina lunches during the work week are provided for and cooked by the farm.

Hours: 8AM-5PM each day with a one hour lunch break at noon. Apprentices will also be expected to work a small amount(0-1 hour) on the weekend as the season progress.

Start/End Date: The apprenticeship is from Apr/May to Nov, though we are flexible on the start and end date. Apprentices who can work the entire season will have priority over those who cannot.

Expectations: Expect to get hot, wet, dirty, sore and cold. Expect to be physically tired on some days, and mentally bored on others. Small farming is exceptionally diverse and the tasks from day to day can be very different, and sometimes monotonous. We try to work as a group when possible, but you will certainly be working on your own at times.

Our apprenticeship program aims to give you a well rounded understanding of what it takes to operate a small scale farm and provide a safe and fun learning environment to do it in. For those seeking more formal training in organic agriculture, we also participate in the Atlantic Canadian Organic Regional Network's (ACORN) Grow A Farmer Program (see http://www.growafarmer.ca).

How to Apply

Please provide a cover letter, resume and references to:
bantrybayfarm(at)gmail.com

Thanks!

Mike Hadfield

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=28350

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca