[Sust-mar] Organic farming mentor, summer job, Open Sky Co-op, Sackville, New Brunswick

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue May 5 13:56:35 EDT 2015

* Work in local & sustainable food - http://FoodWork.ca *

SUMMER JOB POSTING

Summer Position - Farming Mentor at Open Sky Co-operative
http://GoodWork.ca/999992

Title: Farming Mentor
Type: summer job / summer student position
Location: Sackville, New Brunswick

Position: Full-time Summer Student, 35 hours per week for 10 weeks; June 22 – August 28, 2015

Application Deadline: May 13th 5pm

The Organization:

Open Sky Co-operative Ltd. is a non-profit charitable organization located on an 11-acre organic farm in Middle Sackville NB, near Silver Lake. We provide residential, personal and vocational support to adults who face barriers due to social, developmental or mental health challenges. Farming and gardening activities provide opportunities for health, wellness and learning, and our vegetables, free range poultry and eggs help sustain those who live and work here, with any extra products sold locally.

We are committed to increasing inclusiveness and understandings within our nearby community, and welcoming community members to join us in supporting local agriculture and the people who grow it. Our program staff, participants and volunteers all work mutually and companionably together – caring for people, animals and the land.

The Opportunity:

We are offering a position for 1 summer student for 10 weeks during the growing season.
• To apply, you must have a keen interest in working with both organic gardening/farming, as well as working to support others in their experiences of gardening/farming. Skills, education or training in areas of agriculture, psychology, education or social sciences will be an asset. You must be committed to working respectfully in an environment with a diversity of people with varying abilities. Because of the Farm’s commitment to the health, safety and well-being of all, staff and volunteers are required to provide a Criminal Records Check and comply with our Code of Conduct.
• You must be registered as a full-time student during the previous academic year, intending to return to school on a full-time basis during the next calendar year (secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program).
• You must be between 18 and 30 years of age, and be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred, who is legally entitled to work, according to provincial legislation and regulations.
• You will be provided with workday lunches and snacks, at no charge.
• You will be supervised by our Farm Coordinator, and be required to participate in the following work activities:
• Market garden and greenhouse growing production
• Seeding, transplanting and watering; weed management
• Volunteer/participant mentoring and supervision
• Post-harvest processing, marketing and sales
• Animal husbandry
• food preparation activities

Priority will be given to a student who has had a lived experience of mental health or other challenges.

This position will run from June 22 to August 28, 2015, for 35 hours per week, with the flexibility required in a farming lifestyle. Minimum wage will be paid, thanks to a Canada Summer Jobs grant. Applications are due by 5pm on May 13th.

To apply to work with our unique social enterprise, and have a rewarding summer of new learning experiences, please email your one-page expression of interest plus a resume to:

Margaret Tusz-King, Executive Director
Open Sky Co-operative Ltd.
12 Folkins Drive, Sackville NB E4L 1H9
info at openskyco-op.ca

Open Sky Co-operative thanks all applicants for their interest, but will be contacting only those applicants selected for interview.

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=29999

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca