[sust-mar] Invitation to a Living Example - bring this to your community

Dayle Eshelby Dayle.Eshelby at smu.ca
Mon Aug 29 15:03:57 EDT 2016

Your Invitation to a Living Example of what can be brought to your community
Greetings, I would like to extend this opportunity to you:

Please see, below, the description of an event and ideas Saint Mary's University Continuing Education is bringing, with partners, to Lunenburg. Please also see an invitation to attend the event from Gordon Michael, the Director of Continuing Education. I actively encourage you to attend as a way of experiencing first hand-what you can be part of bringing to your community. A full colour poster, description and registration information is found in the two attachments.

I am most certainly looking forward to seeing you there!

Dayle Eshelby

Saint Mary's University - Continuing Education

SEEN Rural Coordinator

Silver Economy Engagement Network

Liberal Arts A Discussion: Their contribution to Local, National and Global Societies
Hello,
Over the past year the Division of Continuing Education of Saint Mary’s University has been involved in developing a number of initiatives in the Lunenburg County Communities. Some of these initiatives include:

•        Supporting the development of a sports hall of fame for the area.

•        Holding pre – season university sporting events over the next number of weeks – soccer and hockey.

•        Working with the Bridgewater Municipal Police Department in the development of a mentoring program by connecting the skills of retirees with youth.

•        Streaming  lectures of credit class offered at the Spring Garden Road Library to the library in Bridgewater and other communities in the South Shore.

•        Developing programs that will assist youth and mature learners in determining their career path in this ever-changing world of work.

In addition we are offering on September 9 – 10 a unique event at the Lunenburg Academy titled Liberal Arts A Discussion: Their contribution to Local, National and Global Societies.
There are early registration prizes before August 31st.
Thank you for your attention and we look forward to seeing you at the event.
Gordon

Gordon Michael
Director

Saint Mary's University - Continuing Education
883 Robie Street | Halifax, NS | B3H 3C3

• 902-491-6288 | 7(fax) 902-420-5103
• gordon.michael @smu.ca<mailto:jay.williams at smu.ca>
Please consider the environment before printing this email P

[X]

[X]

[X]

[X]

Liberal Arts
Their Contribution to Local, National and Global Societies

September 9 – 10, 2016 Lunenburg Academy-97 Kaulbach St, Lunenburg, NS

Liberal Arts provide the opportunity to discuss topics that relate to our daily lives and how current events connect to our history. Join us for a discussion on a variety of topics that affect individuals, communities and countries in our ever-changing world.

A Discussion

To Register contact Continuing Education at conted.smu.ca or 902.420.5492

Please register by September 2, 2016

$85.00 per person or $150.00 for two

Proceeds of event will go towards Educational programs for Mature Learners from Lunenburg County Communities

Event Overview

Friday September 9

6:00pm – 9:30pm

- Registration
- Official Opening
- Opening Session - Liberal Arts in the 21st Century, Dr. Tim Stretton

- Lunenburg Academy of Music Performance (LAMP)

“Ludwig and Walter” LAMP’s Resident Master, Walter Delahunt, will perform an all Beethoven program highlighting some of Beethoven most loved and known works.

- Wine and Cheese Reception Sponsored by the SMU Alumni

Saturday September 10

8:30am – 9:00am – Coffee

Session A or Session B - 9:00am – 10:15am

Break – 10:15am –10:45am
Session A or Session B - 10:45am – 12:00pm

12:00pm – 1:00pm – Historic Lunch
Typical fare that would have been enjoyed by the early settlers of Lunenburg

Session C or Session D - 1:00pm – 2:15pm

Break – 2:15pm –2:45pm
Session C or Session D - 2:45pm – 4:00pm

4:00pm – 4:30pm Closing Remarks

Cultural Heritage and the Liberal Arts - Henry Cary - Session A

Since the Second World War, approaches to preserving cultural heritage have undergone significant change. Once the domain of architects and art historians, studies and practical application of cultural heritage management now benefits from a wide range of disciplines, including history, geography, anthropology, archaeology, sociology, urban planning, and international development, to name just a few. The scope too has expanded. Preservation of the world’s most significant monuments continues yet cultural heritage scholars and professionals are increasingly exploring small-scale vernacular architecture and cultural landscapes, and more importantly, the intangible values these special places have for people today, from craftspeople to consumers, to affluent and marginalized, to indigenous and immigrant, and to those in urban and rural settings. Using Canadian and international case studies this session will explore how the liberal arts contribute to understanding, conserving, and appreciating the role cultural heritage plays in the modern world.

Winners and Losers in a Globalized World – Dr. Anthony O’Malley - Session B

Globalization is often portrayed as a ‘win-win’ process by world leaders, as though all the world’s people— or even a single country’s people—will, eventually, participate in the unquestionable prosperity ushered in by increasingly integrated open markets, trade policies, communications, transportation, labour mobility, ‘business friendly’ governments at all levels, financial interdependency and similar aspects of what has come to be known as globalization, and what has been captured in the pithy saying, ‘the rising tide will raise all boats’. A more careful and less cheerleading look at contemporary developments tell a different story, a story which is much more complicated and not as upbeat and convincing as we are led to believe. We will discuss the structural dynamics of who are the clear beneficiaries, the bereft, the newly prosperous, and the marginalized in current world development.

Germany and the German language in today’s world. Dr. Plews - Session C

This interactive talk / workshop focuses on the value of the German language in today’s world and the value of humanities and social science connections with Germany specifically. It begins with an overview of where the German language is spoken and what cultural phenomena are transmitted through German, followed by a brief discussion of four major reasons why it is useful to learn German. After a video about learning German in Canada, the presentation will continue with a review of study and research opportunities locally and in Germany.

Who are You Going to Trust’? - Dr. Neatby - Session D

The field of history has changed considerably over the last 25 years and students at university today can choose from a much wider range of topics. During this presentation, I will explore why this has been the case and, using the area of Public History as a case study, demonstrate in what way students of history are acquiring new skills they can apply in multiple ways. Public historians are interested in analyzing the way history is recounted outside academia. History is everywhere around us (museums, the web, television, movies) and the public’s appetite for history is ever increasing as demonstrated by the popularity of history channels and website such as Ancestry.com. How can you tell if what we see and read is reliable historical information? By going over specific cases, we explore how public historians are addressing this challenge.

[X]

[X]

[X]

[X]