[sust-mar] Marine Conservation Officer, f/t, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Dec 7 14:01:43 EST 2016

* Work in environment, conservation & nature - GoodWork.ca *

JOB POSTING
http://GoodWork.ca/956073

Position: Marine Conservation Officer
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Ecology Action Centre

Job Posting: Marine Conservation Officer

Since 1971, the Ecology Action Centre (EAC) has been working to build a healthier and more sustainable world. We are proud to be a member-based organization with 5,000 members and more than 300 volunteers. Our areas of focus include Built Environment, Coastal & Water, Energy, Food, Marine, Transportation and Wilderness.

The Ecology Action Centre’s marine team works locally, nationally and internationally towards protecting the marine ecosystem and maintaining sustainable fisheries, which support vibrant coastal communities. We are seeking an enthusiastic environmental campaigner with an interest in marine issues, who is looking for a dynamic and challenging job opportunity to make change in the world’s oceans.

The Marine Conversation Officer will assist with EAC’s marine conservation campaigns. Specifically the Officer will assist in all aspects of a campaign to designate 10% of Canada’s ocean as marine protected areas and to protect sensitive benthic areas from harmful fishing practices. Other projects will include research, writing and advocacy for campaigns on marine species conservation and stock rebuilding. The Officer will report to the Senior Marine Coordinators.

The Marine Conservation Officer duties will include:
• Attend, as required, various DFO science and management meetings pertaining to protected areas, species at risk, stock assessment and management.
• Work together with other conservation organizations in Atlantic Canada and nationally on achieving shared objectives for marine protection.
• Research and compile information on existing and potential protected area sites.
• Work with the Marine Team’s communication staff on communication products and strategy.
• Gather and compile Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) science and management advice about key threats/issues toward marine fish and habitat.
• Assist in organizing workshops and expert panels on marine protected areas and sensitive benthic areas.
• Conduct community outreach, event promotion, and general logistics as needed.
• Attend and participate in Marine Action Committee meetings and activities.
• Support the overall work of the Ecology Action Centre.
• Other duties as required.

Required skills and experience:
• Degree in environmental science or studies, public policy, marine biology or related field; advanced degree considered an asset.
• Some knowledge of marine protected areas, fisheries, species at risk, ocean or marine sciences and/or environmental policy.
• Some experience with environmental campaigning or working in a not-for-profit.
• Ability to digest, synthesize and communicate scientific data to a variety of audiences.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Comfortable speaking in multi-stakeholder settings and to media through interviews.
• Able to organize multi-stakeholder events and meetings.
• Strong organizational skills, self-directed, as well as team player.
• Hold a valid driver’s license.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in traditionally marginalized groups such as: racialized people, Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of a marginalized community. Diversity is a stated value of the Ecology Action Centre. Moreover, diversity in the EAC community is a strength that we seek to cultivate. It is the responsibility of every employee of EAC to foster a culture that embraces and promotes diversity.

Terms of Employment: 37.5 hours per week, some evening and weekend work will be required. 4 weeks paid vacation and a cost-shared benefits program. Salary will be based on experience and in the range of $32,000.00-$40,000.00 per annum. This position is for a term of one year with the possibility of an extension pending the success of the program and fundraising efforts. The position is located Ecology Action Centre, 2705 Fern Lane, Halifax, Nova Scotia.

To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document with the file name as follows: LastName_FirstName_OfficerApplication.pdf to Susanna Fuller, marine at ecologyaction.ca .

No phone calls please. Your resume must include two references.

Application Due Date: Wednesday, December 21, 2016

We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted. We anticipate that interviews for short-listed applicants will occur in early 2017. The Ecology Action Centre was founded in 1971 and is one of Nova Scotia’s most active environmental organizations. The Centre welcomes new members and volunteers: http://www.ecologyaction.ca

http://GoodWork.ca/956073

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=37065

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca