[Sust-mar] Water Coordinator, f/t, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Feb 1 16:26:39 EST 2016

* Work in environment, conservation & nature: GoodWork.ca *

JOB POSTING

Water Coordinator – Halifax (Maternity Leave Replacement)

Position: Water Coordinator http://GoodWork.ca/999923
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Organization

Since 1971, the Ecology Action Centre (EAC) has been working to build a healthier and more sustainable world. While all of our work is connected to Nova Scotia, we draw inspiration from many places. We work closely with communities as well as social and natural scientists and ensure our messages and policy solutions are scientifically defensible. Our current areas of focus include Built Environment, Marine, Coastal and Water, Wilderness, Food, Transportation and Energy.

Position

The Ecology Action Centre is seeking a Water Coordinator to join our dynamic Coastal and Water Team. Our ideal candidate is comfortable in a leadership position and eager to make change. They are knowledgeable and passionate about freshwater issues, management and policy in Nova Scotia, as well as urban stormwater management, low impact development and climate change adaptation. A key aspect of this position will be collaborating with community members, municipal staff and key stakeholders to advance freshwater habitat enhancement and water quality improvement projects in the Dartmouth area.

The Coastal and Water Team’s ultimate impact is that Nova Scotia’s coasts and freshwater are healthy, valued, and protected. The position is for one year, pending funding approval. The successful candidate will be supported in securing ongoing funding. The position reports to the EAC’s staff directors.

Specific Responsibilities
• Advance project goals with respect to priority habitat enhancement projects (daylighting Sawmill River, Shannon Park redevelopment)
• Encourage the implementation of best practices such as stormwater retention ponds and nutrient management features to protect water quality in urban lakes, particularly Lake Banook and Lake Micmac in Dartmouth
• Deliver urban water and biodiversity tours of sites including Halifax’s living shoreline, rain gardens, stormwater retrofit demonstration site, Sawmill River, etc.
• Engage volunteers through hands-on projects related to urban water management
• Increase media and social media profile around urban water issues: innovative stormwater management, stormwater credit program, flood-preparedness and climate change adaptation
• Advocate for provincial water policy and legislative objectives such as a commitment to province-wide riparian buffers and setbacks
• Complete reports to funders, donors and other stakeholders

General Responsibilities
• Provide leadership and support to the overall work of the Coastal and Water team, particularly fundraising, program development, communications, engagement organizing, and promoting our overall ultimate impact
• Collaborate within the Ecology Action Centre and support the Centre’s overall work
• Other tasks, as required

Qualifications

Required
• A passion for freshwater issues and a determination to make change
• Strong knowledge of freshwater ecology, water and stormwater management and ecological restoration approaches, in particular low impact development, rain gardens and urban freshwater habitat enhancement.
• Proven skills as a relationship-builder able to provide facilitation and leadership on complex environmental issues, build coalitions, and work effectively with diverse stakeholders and community organizations
• Experience with fundraising, proposal writing and project management
• Well versed in climate change impacts and adaptation
• Excellent communication skills: working with the public, speaking, writing, delivering presentations to various audiences
• Media savvy with social media acumen
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team, effectively manage multiple tasks and prioritize
• Persistent, diplomatic, creative, optimistic, with a team-oriented approach
• Willing to work occasional evenings and weekends and willing to travel within NS

Desirable
• Hands on fieldwork, watershed monitoring or restoration experience
• Experience with engagement organizing, theory of change, storytelling and program evaluation
• Experience working with NGOs and community organizations
• Skills in developing outreach and education materials and presentations

Start Date: April 4, 2016

Terms of Employment: 35 hours per week at $21-23/hour; 4 weeks of paid vacation; cost shared benefits plan; contract for one year, pending funding.

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia in EAC’s wonderful newly renovated green office

Application: Cover letter, resume and two references. Please submit your application in the form of a pdf document with required elements in the following order: cover letter, resume, references.

Deadline: Monday, February 29th 2016, 5:00 pm

Attention: Cormekia Clayton, Office Manager:
info at ecologyaction.ca

We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Interviews will take place in mid-March.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in traditionally marginalized groups such as: racialized people, Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of a marginalized community. Diversity is a stated value of the Ecology Action Centre. Moreover, diversity in the EAC community is a strength that we seek to cultivate. It is the responsibility of every employee of EAC to foster a culture that embraces and promotes diversity.

http://GoodWork.ca/999923

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=32999

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca