[Sust-mar] Friends of Redtail Society Free Winter Tracking Series

Michelle Ferris michelle at bullrushes.ca
Fri Jan 29 05:51:49 EST 2016

*Free Winter Tracking Series hosted by Friends of Redtail Society*

Friends of Redtail Society will be hosting a winter tracking series on
Sundays in the month of February. The event is free and will take place at
1 pm on February 7, 14, 21 and 28.

The event invites participants to see animals through the eyes of the
track. Winter is
an excellent time to study nature’s signatures. Each afternoon we
will track local fauna, including Deer, Coyote, Fisher and Snowshoe Hare,
which live on and around Friends of Redtail land, near Scotsburn, Pictou
County.

Friends of Redtail Society Board Members, Billy MacDonald and Joella
Arsenault will lead the tracking series. MacDonald is an experienced
tracker who has spent much of his life in the woods attuned to observing
nature and animal signs. In the mid ‘80s he studied tracking with
internationally renown, Tom Brown Jr., and in 1991 he founded Redtail
Nature Awareness Camp near Scotsburn, offering wilderness experiences for
children, youth and adults. Arsenault is a nature photographer and former
attendee of Redtail Nature Awareness and has co-led programs with MacDonald
for the past decade.

“The track is the animal’s signature,” says MacDonald. “The track is a
doorway to a world that for the most part remains invisible in modern
society, that of the untamed Beings. Tracking expands our world and
activates an ancient past and a part of our brain we no longer rely upon.”

Please dress for the conditions, proper footwear is essential. If the snow
pack continues snowshoes may also be necessary. Each week we will meet at
the bridge on the MacBeth Road by Craig’s Way at 12:50 pm.

Please join our event on Facebook and share it with your network,
http://on.fb.me/1Oi9j57.

For more information or directions call Billy MacDonald at (902) 485-4688 or
visit friendsofredtail.ca.

--
Michelle Ferris
Friends of Redtail Society

*The Friends of Redtail Society is a grass-roots, non-profit organization
formed in 2006 to pursue a community-based solution to an industrial forest
clear cut that was scheduled to take place in an upland watershed in
western Pictou County. Through the group's actions, a successful
fundraising and awareness campaign was mounted and the Society was able to
purchase the land, becoming both a guardian and student of the forest.
**Through
its "Sheltering Forests" campaign, the Society is engaging community in the
process of reclaiming, re-visioning and restoring its relationship with the
forest. *

Learn more about our vision at http://friendsofredtail.ca/our-vision
Make a gift http://friendsofredtail.ca/sheltering-forests
We're on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-Redtail-Society/128631873862252>
Follow us on Twitter @FriendsRedtail <http://twitter.com/FriendsRedtail>

We are a registered charity and donations are tax deductible.