[sust-mar] Food justice research, summer job, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Jun 1 14:34:39 EDT 2016

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

SUMMER STUDENT JOB
http://FoodWork.ca/900053

Position: Research and Community Outreach Coordinator
Type: summer job / summer student position
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

About the Loaded Ladle

The Loaded Ladle is a non-profit open food cooperative based out of the Dalhousie Students’ Union Building. We operate by students and for students and strive to address injustices within the global food market, particularly in how it affects university campuses and marginalized communities under capitalism.

Employment Equity

The Loaded Ladle recognizes that with regards to peoples’ experiences and job qualifications, a ‘level playing field’ does not currently exist because of the structural injustices of our society. We believe that employment equity is a necessary practice to challenge some of these injustices.

The Loaded Ladle sees Employment Equity as a pro-active measure to recruit people from historically disadvantaged groups. A non-comprehensive list of these groups includes First Nations people, women, people of colour, Black Nova Scotians, Inuit and Métis people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, two spirit, transgender, transsexual, queer and intersex people, people with disabilities, Acadians, and working class people. This policy seeks to act as an extension of the Loaded Ladle’s Anti-Oppression Mandate.

If you would like to be considered under the Employment Equity policy, please state so in your cover letter. You are not required to state under which basis you are applying.

Research and Community Outreach Coordinator (Summer Student)

Description

The Research and Community Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for conducting research on food justice topics and building and strengthening partnerships with community and student organizations.

The RCO Coordinator will work with regular staff and board to conduct this research within the community and determine the outcome of this project. Tasks will include, but not be limited to:
• Identifying and attending meetings, sitting on boards (where possible and appropriate) and engaging in and supporting ongoing food justice work in the community
• Assist staff and board in the ongoing projects and initiatives of the Loaded Ladle, including but not limited to: film screenings, zines, workshops and community outreach.

Qualifications
• Has experience with consensus based decision making
• Has anti-oppressive and anti-racism training (commitment to anti-oppression)
• Possesses knowledge of, or experience in, community kitchens
• Possesses knowledge of, or experience in, anti-capitalist food movements
• Previous volunteer or work experience in food justice movements
• Lived experience in areas of food (in)security, food sovereignty, etc.
• Interest in food politics and social justice

Funding-Related Requirements

This is a Canada Summer Jobs funded position. According to program policies, qualified applicants:
• Are between 15 and 30 years of age at the time of hire
• Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
• Are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (foreign students are not eligible)
• Are legally entitled to work in Canada, according to relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations

Weekly hours will be negotiated to what works best for the position. Compensation will be $375/week.

Applications are due Thursday June 9th at 5pm. Interviews will take place June 13th - 15th. This is a 10 week contract, with a start date of June 22nd, 2016.

Applications can be sent to:
volunteer at loadedladle.com
or dropped off or mailed to our office in the basement of the Dal SUB (6136 University Ave, Halifax NS, B3H 4J2)

http://FoodWork.ca/900053

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=35000

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca